FORUMS: list search recent posts

Component Output to Panasonic Plasma?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seb Ratcliffe
Component Output to Panasonic Plasma?
on Mar 14, 2009 at 4:21:06 pm

Hello

Just got Panasonic 50PH10 and having problems getting picture on it.
Running an LHE, on quad 2.66, primary sdi ouput to Sony pvm 1454qm, works fine.
Component output to panasonic is black and white, interlaced, and the sounds just hummms!?
Have tried with various timelines of hd flavours (but that shouldn't matter right?) same problem.
Tried many settings on Kona control panel, but picture either disappears or is black and white.
Plasma is fine, tested with dvd player.
In the aja control panel test pattern at 625i25 (pal-land), with colour bars on the sdi sony, the plasma displays four black and white bars.
What am I doing wrong?
What should be the correct panel settings for this?

Thanks a lot for all your replies.

Seb

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Component Output to Panasonic Plasma?
on Mar 14, 2009 at 4:27:09 pm

Your Component output has to match the output of your Sequence.

Easiest way to do this is do an Easy Setup in FCP and leave the AJA Control Panel alone. If you've already messed with the control panel, be sure the Component output is set the same as your Sequence.

I.e. if you have 1080i / 29.97 in your Sequence, then the Component output needs to be set the same.

We run component to all three of our Panny plasmas here.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Seb Ratcliffe
on Mar 14, 2009 at 6:05:06 pm

Thanks for the swift reply Walter.
Have tried with everything on the Aja panel out at 1080i25, and the sequence is ProRes 1080i25. No joy.

Something I forgot to mention is that in the fcp Audio/Video settings playback seems to have to be set to 625i25 8 or 10 bit to get a picture up at all. No other settings allow me to view on either of the monitors.

So with a 1080i25 seq (or other seq settings, such as dv) the panel set all to 1080i25 I get picture on Sony monitor and bad b&w interlaced on plasma - but only - through the fcp 625i25 Video playback.

Whats is going on?

Thanks again for all your help.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 14, 2009 at 7:16:44 pm

Quit FCP and the AJA Control Panel

Trash FCP's prefs,

Trash the AJA Control Panel Prefs.

Launch Final Cut Pro. Do NOT open the AJA Control Panel

Final Cut Pro > Easy Setup

Choose AJA Kona LHe 1080i / 25 ProRes

Now do you see proper picture?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Mar 15, 2009 at 12:23:49 am

I don't want to appear to be hijacking this thread; I hope this adds value:
Walter, I assume you run your plasmas with component out because you judge that it gives you a truer picture. I have my Panasonic plasma connected both ways -- component and HDMI -- and I haven't been sure about which I should use. I tend toward HDMI because I thought that staying in the digital realm was better for accurate color reproduction. I take it you figure it differently?

Thanks.

Ron

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 15, 2009 at 12:35:34 am

[Ron Craig] " I take it you figure it differently? "

We run component out of our Konas as there is no HDMI output from those and I really don't have the need to purchase an SDI to HDMI converter. Plus the Component inputs were included in the first two screens, only the newest one has HDMI standard.

So it's a matter of convenience. If the darn HD-SDI input wasn't as much as the screen, we would probably just run that in there.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Mar 15, 2009 at 12:42:07 am

If the darn HD-SDI input wasn't as much as the screen, we would probably just run that in there.

Ha! Yes, I understand. I bought an AJA Hi5 SDI-to-HDMI converter when I was spending all that money putting in the HiDef edit system and those smaller components got lost in the budget.

Cheers,

Ron

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 15, 2009 at 12:56:27 am

[Ron Craig] "Ha! Yes, I understand. I bought an AJA Hi5 SDI-to-HDMI converter when I was spending all that money putting in the HiDef edit system and those smaller components got lost in the budget. "

I may actually pick up three of those shortly as we're switching over to FSI LCD panels to replace our CRT's and all of those have HD-SDI loop through. So we could run HDMI now to all the plasmas from the Kona.

Just depends on the budget. As I said, we really don't need them, but we'll see.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Seb Ratcliffe
on Mar 16, 2009 at 1:10:15 pm

Hello,

So back with the system. Tried this:-

"Quit FCP and the AJA Control Panel

Trash FCP's prefs,

Trash the AJA Control Panel Prefs.

Launch Final Cut Pro. Do NOT open the AJA Control Panel

Final Cut Pro > Easy Setup

Choose AJA Kona LHe 1080i / 25 ProRes

Now do you see proper picture?"

Unfortunately, no joy. Don't get a picture on either monitor, just fuzz.

Again, if I switch fcp playback to Kona 625i25, get picture but only on pvm, plasma goes black.

Any other ideas? Would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 16, 2009 at 1:17:19 pm

No clue.

Have you tried feeding an HD Source other than the Kona directly to the Plasma screen via Component like the VTR or a BluRay Player?

If that shows correctly in HD, then call AJA Tech Support, which by the way they do have direct support in Europe. Very possible something is wrong with the card and they'll overnight a new one to you.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Seb Ratcliffe
on Mar 16, 2009 at 9:27:39 pm

Hoping it was going to be something nice and simple.
Dvd/ vhs/ Z1 playback fine on plasma.
The card was only replaced in October.
For a moment thought it could be breakout cable, but that doesn't explain the other playback options not working.
I'll contact aja then, and post the solution for the record.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 16, 2009 at 9:32:15 pm

[Seb Ratcliffe] "Dvd/ vhs/ Z1 playback fine on plasma. "

Ok, the DVD and VHS can't put out an HD signal. Were you playing back 1080i HD via Component from the Z1?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 17, 2009 at 1:59:05 am

seb -
in the AJA Control Panel, in the CONTROL tab is TEST PATTERN. Select Color bars. On the Format Tab, select your hd choice or 625 PAL choice. Take the Y Output and put this into the Y input of the Panasonic TH50 Plasma. Do you you see B+W bars - YES OR NO ?

If you do see B+W bars, now plug in the Pb cable (Pb out of the Kona, to Pb in of the monitor) - do you see some color (even if it's the wrong color) - YES OR NO?

Now, plug in the Pr cable. Do you have full color now ?

DO ALL OF YOUR TESTS with the test pattern signal from the AJA Control Panel Control Tab Test Pattern setting. Do not proceed with anything else until you do these tests.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Seb Ratcliffe
on May 13, 2009 at 1:03:59 pm

Slow to get back to this been out of the office on a job.

Walter - No actually cant get a picture onto plasma from the Z1 at 1080i50. Panasonic 50PH10, which is 1366 not 1920. Is there something wrong with it?

Bob - With test pattern signal only get b+w bars. NO color.
The Pb and Pr wires just cause a buzz on speakers, but have no effect on the picture.

Spoke to aja, who arent 100% whats wrong, think it might be the cable, and are going to send replacement card and cable. Which is great.

Thanks

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 13, 2009 at 1:26:57 pm

[Seb Ratcliffe] "Walter - No actually cant get a picture onto plasma from the Z1 at 1080i50. Panasonic 50PH10, which is 1366 not 1920. Is there something wrong with it? "

You should get an image at 1080i/50, we can here with all our plasmas feeding 1080i/50 from the AJA Kona board. (Actually it's really 1080i/25.)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Seb Ratcliffe
on May 13, 2009 at 4:59:40 pm

Hmm. Maybe something wrong with plasma as well? Was playing back directly from camera not through card, though shouldn't make a difference. Will wait till get new card then retry. If no joy its another warranty call.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]