FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rumours?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat McGowan
Rumours?
on Mar 10, 2009 at 8:25:07 pm

So, since there are FCS 3 and Apple hardware and software rumours, are there an KONA 4 rumours?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Rumours?
on Mar 10, 2009 at 8:26:37 pm

Nope. We're skipping 4 and going right to 6. It's a combination of 3 cards that completely eliminate the need for rendering. Everything is realtime.

It's the "K6 Rashby Special Edition"

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Mar 10, 2009 at 8:52:54 pm

Actually the K6 is a free upgrade from the K5.5. You should check AJA's site, Walter, you must have missed the free announcement.

Warren

Warren Eig

O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/AFX.html

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/KnitWits_Movie.html

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0251670/

EDITING REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Editing_Reel.html

TITLE DESIGN: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Titles_Reel.html

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 10, 2009 at 9:23:48 pm

[Warren Eig] "Actually the K6 is a free upgrade from the K5.5. You should check AJA's site, Walter, you must have missed the free announcement. "

Oh that's right, "K5.5, The Extreme Thorn Edition." Darn near melted the other cards in the machine that thing was so crazy. Good for keeping food warm too!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2009 at 9:26:36 pm

It will also do your taxes at NAB in 4:4:4:4 (that's 32 bit) precision via dual link HD SDI and downconvert it straight to your checking account in SD @ 29.97. Make sure to file an extension.

Try that with any other product on the market. Will you?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 11, 2009 at 4:09:41 am

[walter biscardi] "Everything is realtime."

Including the coffee! No more waiting, it foams the cappuccino right off the break-out box!

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 11, 2009 at 2:53:41 am

Hi Pat -
this will make you feel better. Let's say there is a Kona 4 at NAB2009. Guess what - at NAB2010, there will be a Kona 5, and at NAB 2011, there will be a Kona 6. And all your VTRs will be outdated, all your hard drives will be too small, all your SD cards will be tiny compared to next years model. And the new incredible Apple MAC Nehalem - well, this will be a slow dinosaur in 2011 - just 2 years from now.

Your investment in April 2009 will be worthless in just 2 years from now. This is not a rumor. However I do understand that at NAB2009, Blackmagic will PAY FCP users $100 to just take their cards - why pay $1700 for a Kona LHe when Blackmagic will PAY YOU to use their cards. Now, that's an incentive !

If there is a Kona 4, it won't come out until September 2009, and by then, something else will come out (like the Matrox MXO3, and the MOTU V5).

Get a job, go back to work, and stop worring about your "future purchases". With a one year life span, you will be buying new products like this for the rest of your career.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Mar 11, 2009 at 4:00:47 pm

Bob,

My response is: If someone has to pay you to use their products, what is that saying? ouch.

I have to say that other companies can certainly make products that appear to do the same functions as what AJA offers but it is only when you start looking under the hood that it becomes apparent why they can be sold for less.

We have been working with AJA for 10 years now, John, seems like yesterday :)

and I have to say that their engineering has made it easier for us to do what we do. Other products pale in comparison when it comes to this. An example that you all will grasp. AJA has a hefty buffer on their boards. In the world of video, especially high-end video, this is rather important. Now go compare that to what others are doing. AJA doesn't seem to cut corners when it comes to engineering and design, something we greatly appreciate.

In a generic video sense you may not deem these items important but in the high-end world we know the importance of good engineering and latch onto it. I am happy to pay that 3K, and you don't have to pay me to use it.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Mar 11, 2009 at 4:49:06 pm

[Bob Zelin] "However I do understand that at NAB2009, Blackmagic will PAY FCP users $100 to just take their cards - why pay $1700 for a Kona LHe when Blackmagic will PAY YOU to use their cards. Now, that's an incentive !"

ha ha ha ha :)

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Mar 16, 2009 at 12:20:39 am

Wow, pretty much speechless after that lovingly crafted zinger of a response Bob. Sorry I asked.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 16, 2009 at 1:21:07 pm

[Bob Zelin] "this will make you feel better. Let's say there is a Kona 4 at NAB2009. Guess what - at NAB2010, there will be a Kona 5, and at NAB 2011, there will be a Kona 6."

Actually THIS will make Pat feel better.

Kona 3 came out 2 or 3 years ago and has been improved almost continuously by free updates. The Kona 3 today has many more features and stability than when it first came out. This has cost all of us end users Zero, as in no money at all.

The Kona 3 works in the new Mac Pros. So any Kona purchase is going to pay dividends down the road because you will have them for a long life cycle. We have three of them running strong. There would have to be a really, REALLY good reason for me to jump to another card. In fact the only thing that would make me jump would be the addition of realtime features like my old CinéWave card.

So you can buy with confidence with any AJA product that you're not buying something that's already outdated when you open the box.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Mar 16, 2009 at 1:57:29 pm

We bought into AJA because when we did a straw poll on the COW the response was overwhelming support for their products and support. The KONA LHe we started with (need analog I/O in at least one machine) seems like good technology. We are planning on adding several more FCP stations and I could place the order today but I realize the timing could be dicey, which is why i am fishing for any indications of new product release plan for KONA.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 16, 2009 at 2:17:59 pm

[Pat McGowan] " which is why i am fishing for any indications of new product release plan for KONA."

Honestly, AJA is very much like Apple in that they release the information when they are ready to. Even the moderators on this forum don't have any inside knowledge of the product plans.

NAB starts April 20th. Can you wait until then?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Mar 16, 2009 at 2:42:22 pm

We'll wait on the AJA but we'll place the Apple orders.

Here's a question that might apply: Can you open an AJA encoded project on a non-AJA machine in FCP? Same for AE? If so do you need AJA drivers or codecs on the Non-AJA machine? We may just use this method to get us through for the next 30-60 days for a few projects.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 17, 2009 at 6:53:41 pm

[Pat McGowan] "Can you open an AJA encoded project on a non-AJA machine in FCP? "

AJA uses Apple codecs for most of it's workflows. For the higher end 444, RGB workflows, AJA makes the codec free to everyone...so, yes you can.

What format are you working in?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Mar 17, 2009 at 8:36:35 pm

We are coming to FCP from PPRO on Matrox Axio where proprietary codecs are the order of the day. So far we've just been using Apple Pro Res so you're quite right, it's a non-issue.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 17, 2009 at 8:58:52 pm

[Pat McGowan] "So far we've just been using Apple Pro Res so you're quite right, it's a non-issue. "

Yes, and it's even easier now with computers that don't have FCP as there's a free ProRes decoder for Quicktime on both windows and mac.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Mar 11, 2009 at 11:14:14 am

What more do most people really need? The Kona 3 pretty much does everything unless you stray into the really, really, high-end stuff.

Although a cheaper IO HD would be nice...

-Simmie
6 MacPros - Kona 3 & Kona LH
1 G5s - Kona LH
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS3
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

Kevin Wild
on Mar 13, 2009 at 6:46:06 am

Realtime playback of 4K R3D files from RED once FCP supports them? :-)

You asked.

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Mar 13, 2009 at 7:51:54 am

Display port out of the i/o card :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]