FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nesting DV NTSC sequences

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Capra
Nesting DV NTSC sequences
on Mar 6, 2009 at 12:42:26 am

When I nest a sequence from a project made on a DV-only Final Cut workstation, it shows as a Green 'Preview' render. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong such that I can get it to show grey (ready for playback). The Kona is able to play a DV clip on a ProRes timeline without going green, then why not a DV sequence?

To clarify, this is a sequence that is 720x480 (3:2 pixel aspect) with DV/DVCPRO-NTSC codec. When I drag it (nest) onto a 720x486 (40:27 pixel aspect) it turns green... I am wondering why...

I have tried offsetting it by one pixel vertically.. I have tried changing the codec of the nested sequence to ProRes.. I have tried offsetting the source clips within the nested sequence by one vertically.. No luck.

Return to posts index

MIchael Sacci
Re: Nesting DV NTSC sequences
on Mar 6, 2009 at 9:15:17 pm

adding the extra pixels takes some processing power, set the seq settings to 720x480 and that might help.

NEVER offset by 1 pixel, you will reorder the field order when you do.

Not sure why you are going this, what are you trying to gain?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Capra
on Mar 6, 2009 at 9:39:18 pm

well i have noticed that dropping a DV 720x480 clip onto a ProRes (or other 40:27 aspect) 720x486 sequence causes it to automatically offset by one pixel ever since version 4 or 5. However if you have a DV clip on a 720x480 sequence, and change the sequence settings to 486 afterward, it won't offset it, but the video will appear blurry.

As far as why I am importing DV sequences for nesting into an otherwise ProRes project? We periodcally do news package shows.. Some of the packages are edited in DV, some in ProRes... I like to import the actual sequences made on these other workstations into my overall show project, rather than exporting a single video file, so that I can make tweaks to them in the eleventh hour if need be, right from the main project.

The thing is, this really screwed me up because it ultimately meant that, in the 11th hour, I had to render long segments (some were 7 minute interviews) before I could print to tape.

Return to posts index

MIchael Sacci
on Mar 6, 2009 at 10:50:43 pm

Understand why now.

Changing the image size is still probably why it needs to be rendered, you can test my theory if you like by dropping it into a ProRes seq set to 720x480 and see if it needs rendering. Of course this will not solve your problem but it would tell you why it is not working.

Mixing formats is never clean and easy, what Apple has always offered is RT playback but not mastering.

But I did a quick test of my own and I don't get anything that is not at least green. DV seq on a 720x486 ProRes seq is orange, a clip is green. on a ProRes 720x480 both a clip and a DV seq is green.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]