FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I use the AJA Control Panel? or Video output in Final Cut?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Should I use the AJA Control Panel? or Video output in Final Cut?
on Mar 3, 2009 at 4:25:10 am

Hey Guys,

I'm editing in Final Cut outputting to a consumer HD monitor through component with a Kona LHe. The footage is all XDCAM EX...

When I change the type of sequence I'm editing in...I have to go into View->Output and change the type to 1080 29.97 or 1080 30p. I have to change it every time I work in a different sequence...seems like the Kona card should be conforming it to the same thing.

My question is: Should I change my view settings in Final Cut? Or should I be using the AJA Control Panel?

If the answer is Final Cut...then what would I use the control panel for?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Should I use the AJA Control Panel? or Video output in Final Cut?
on Mar 3, 2009 at 6:05:45 am

You use both, Final Cut will always take over the Frame Buffer on the Kona card when it is the active app, what you still have to set in the Kona Control Panel is the output format, that is where the same settings are for straight passthrough, cross conversion or down conversion.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Mar 3, 2009 at 6:15:11 am

OK...so it does make sense that when I play back a different sequence type (frame rate) that I need to change my video output settings in Final Cut, right?

Can you give me an example of when I'd need to change my settings in AJA Control Panel? Using my current XDCAM EX workflow...

Thanks for the help!

What did we do before the COW? Ohh...that's right...the manual!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 3, 2009 at 7:09:44 am

You would have to change the video out if your sequence settings change. Your video out should match your sequence.

You would only need to change the Kona Control panel's output if you change monitors or deck requirements.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 3, 2009 at 1:29:40 pm

[Jason Brown] "When I change the type of sequence I'm editing in...I have to go into View->Output and change the type to 1080 29.97 or 1080 30p. I have to change it every time I work in a different sequence...seems like the Kona card should be conforming it to the same thing. "

It will if you use an Easy Setup to make the change instead of using the Video Output.

[Jason Brown] "If the answer is Final Cut...then what would I use the control panel for? "

For up / down and cross conversions. You need to set up the Control Panel to make the format conversion as you cannot do this in FCP.

Shane Ross created a tutorial showing how to use the Control Panel.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/aja_kona3.php

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 3, 2009 at 2:31:52 pm

[Jason Brown] "When I change the type of sequence I'm editing in...I have to go into View->Output and change the type to 1080 29.97 or 1080 30p."

OK

first off why are you bouncing between settings like these- it is a recipe for disaster first off.

secondly - when you change the settings without changing the easy setup Final Cut Does not know what you have done so the card does not know any better either.

Pick a setup and stick to it, I do not know of ANY reason to be bouncing between 30 and 29.97 that will not cause a HUGE amount of headaches. Chances are that 30p will not play on your consumer monitor.

FYI from your EX the format is PsF or I - it NEVER outputs 1080 as P,
only the Red camera delivers true P in 1080 -- your EX does not.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]