FORUMS: list search recent posts

st.t.t.t.tuttering, lagging audio....

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
st.t.t.t.tuttering, lagging audio....
on Feb 28, 2009 at 11:56:38 pm

Hey guys,

I've got a Kona 3 in a new mac pro, 16 gigs rams, etc. Been running my Kona 3 for about 3 months in this system with no problems until I decided to start working in 1080i HD 29.97. Now I've run into an issue where my audio lags, stutters, and loses sync on playback. Video plays back flawlessly, but audio doesn't. Restarting doesn't help.

I uninstalled Kona drivers and reinstalled, which fixed the problem for a few minutes, but it comes back. Called support, who suggested I move the Kona from slot 3 to slot 2 and flash pram. That worked, and then I used after effects which brought the problem back in Final Cut. Since AJA is out for the weekend, I'm wondering if this is just a bad Kona card or if there's something else I could be doing wrong?

Also, when I turn video playback off, the audio on the Kona is fantastic. Turn playback on, it skkkkkkips. It seems mostly an issue when using 1080i.....

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Oh, additional technical info:
Latest Kona drivers, latest version of leopard, FCS 2, and I'm running 3 1TB Western Digital drives in an internal RAID 0 (I know, I know, it's not safe but I'm backing them up to FW800 drives until I get a RAID 5 setup).

Best,

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: st.t.t.t.tuttering, lagging audio....
on Mar 1, 2009 at 12:53:31 am

this is unfortunately not the answer to your question.
But 3 drives cant do uncompressed 1080i HD 29.97. The drives can't keep up. If you are doing it - you are lucky. Try working in ProRes422HQ with 1080i 29.97 for dramatically better performance.

In case I am wrong - run AJA System Test in the AJA utilities folder. Select your raided internal drives. Select a 1080i test, with a 1 Gig file size. Report back your drive speed. If you are not getting above 250Mb/sec, you can't do an uncompressed HD show with those drives.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:12:49 am

Dang - I suck. I'm using ProRes 8bit, not even HQ. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that.

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:13:12 am

Are you on 10.5.6 and how old is your MacPro?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:16:40 am

Hey Jeremy,

It's 10.5.6 and it's a less than 3 month old Mac Pro 2.8. Everything is running the most recent software...
My sequence is rendered out as prores, but my source video is animation codec quicktime rendered out of AE. The project is for a :20 second promo. I just flushed PRam again so it's gone again. I guess that's a short term solution....

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:17:56 am

[John Davidson] "Dang - I suck. I'm using ProRes 8bit, not even HQ. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that.
"

ProRes is 10bit. Regular or HQ, it's 10bit.

Sorry, no answer to your problem though.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:19:51 am

Doh. Point taken. :-)

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:21:28 am

Is this 1080i29.97 or 1080i23.98?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:23:03 am

1080i 29.97.

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:34:28 am

Opened after effects to check to make sure I'm rendering out at 29.97, closed AE, opened final cut, and now, like herpes, it's back.

This project isn't due on Monday so I can deal with it as is for now by flashing PRAM and staying out of AE. The only other wildly unlikely possibility is that I need an HD blackburst generator? The reason I ask is that I went to a friends post house the other day and he had a blackmagic one that had multiple switches for working in 24p and other frame rates. I have an ESE blackburst generator that's been fine for SD, and I don't really see how that would affect playback whilst editing and previewing on an external monitor.

By the way guys, I took your advice and got the 42in Panny pro plasma (the one with 1080p HDMI inputs). It really is gorgeous, even for SD footage. Thanks for the tip.

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 1, 2009 at 9:52:13 pm

[John Davidson] "I'm using ProRes 8bit, not even HQ. "

There is no such thing as 8bit ProRes

Both ProRes formats are 10bit.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 1, 2009 at 2:57:52 am

[John Davidson] " and then I used after effects which brought the problem back in Final Cut."

something is not right, please give version numbers for OS QT FCP and Software,

and you do not mention what version of AE, Aja does not currently have working CS4-AE drivers.

that maybe the issue

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 1, 2009 at 5:56:56 pm

something is up here. You get it working, you launch Adobe, and the problem comes back. You must have some Adobe plug in that is conflicting with the AJA stuff. Do you know where your FCP preferences are - in this folder is a plug in folder. EMPTY this plugin folder, and try it again. Bad plug ins will cause havoc with your system.

If you have an ESE ES219, this wins the award for the worst black generator ever built. It will stop an AVID Adrenaline from working. Although this is not your current problem, I would throw that unit in the garbage. You are better off using "internal" than an ES219.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 1, 2009 at 9:43:18 pm

Hey Bob/Gary,

Thanks for the feedback - I will be upgrading to a new blackburst generator asap. I am running CS4 which must be the problem. I wasn't aware that AJA drivers didn't work with CS4 yet. I will be keeping an eye out for those new drivers and shutting off AJA external monitoring in AE until drivers do come out.

Thanks again guys.

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 1, 2009 at 9:53:40 pm

[John Davidson] "I wasn't aware that AJA drivers didn't work with CS4 yet."

It clearly states on the download that the drivers are not CS4 compliant.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 1, 2009 at 10:35:20 pm

You're right, Gary. I just assumed that it worked with CS4. I'm terribly sorry for wasting everyone's time because I didn't read all my documentation. I now know also that ProRes is 10 bit and won't put out that false information anymore.

Best,

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 1, 2009 at 11:17:19 pm

you did not waste anyones time ! I didnt' read this either (lazy !). Post like this are educational, and not a waste of time.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John Davidson
update
on Mar 4, 2009 at 11:09:54 pm

Quick Update -

Turns out this issue wasn't really related to CS4. AJA is sending me a new Kona 3 as this problem is still occurring even when not using CS4. Looks like I'm that one in a million guy who's card is funky. Many thanks to Jim in support for helping me out!

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Hank Simon
on Mar 2, 2009 at 9:37:40 pm

Leopard 10.5.6 Expansion slot utility is broken. I have this problem now after I just bought 10.5.6. Aja told me to go to earlier version. The lanes were not correct and I couldn't fix them. Apple is sending me 10.5.4 for free.

Hank Simon

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 2, 2009 at 9:48:40 pm

That was going to be my suggestion, but this is a newer MacPro so you shouldn't need the Expansion Slot Utility.

ALso, if you download the combo update to 10.5.6, it sometimes will fix it.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10-5-6_Combo_Update

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Mar 2, 2009 at 9:53:36 pm

Hank, your profile doesn't show what system you have, but you know that newer mac pros don't use the expansion slot utility, right?

John
Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: st.t.t.t.tuttering, lagging NOW Expansion Slot
on Mar 2, 2009 at 11:40:39 pm

Hi -
dare I say it - AJA is wrong, Dulce is wrong, and I was wrong.
Warren Eig put the effort out to contact Apple engineering directly (he is less lazy than all of us !) - this is a cosmetic problem with the earlier MAC Pro 2008 models that used Expansion Slot Utility.
When you update to 10.5.6 in these early 2008 models, it APPEARS that the Expansion slot utility is wrong (you change it, you reboot, but when you check it, it still shows a x1 slot).

WELL, Warren found out that IT DOES CHANGE AND KEEP THE CHANGE - if you go into your system info, you will see the slot has changed to x4, but this is not reflected in the expansion slot utility. Warren confirmed this with Apple Engineering.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]