FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC and KONA or What?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Maloney
JVC and KONA or What?
on Feb 15, 2009 at 9:13:32 pm

Not sure if this is a KONA issue or JVC. My case: 24P HDV and appropriate settings for FCP6.0.

As much as I love the 24P on my JVC GY-HD110, I am still baffled each time I attempt to set up the capture and sequence settings. I have the BR-HD50 deck and everything is going through the KONA LH card. Shooting in regular 30 frame DV is a snap, but, I've run into problems with the proper codec on the 24P settings. When logging and capturing, I get 2 captures from each clip, never 1 full clip. While my sequence settings are adjusted down to 23.97, I'm losing video somewhere.

I downloaded the latest codecs (6.2) from KONA, thinking there's a newer codec that might be applicable for the 24p HDV the JVC provides. Or...maybe I'm just missing something all together.

So, is the HDV 720P the one...pure HD, or can one of the DVCPro codes handle this?

Mike Maloney
Maloney Marketing Group
maloneymarketinggroup.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: JVC and KONA or What?
on Feb 16, 2009 at 12:10:56 am

How are you capturing? Analog?

If caprturing analog then I's imagine you set your capture to 720p59.94 at wahtever codec you want, ProRes, DVCPro HD, Uncompressed, whatever hd you'd like.

I don't think you can capture just the 24p frames with JVC unless you come in firewire.

I don't know as I have enever worked with it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mike Maloney
on Feb 16, 2009 at 12:37:47 am

Well, in short, I'm trying to capture via Firewire. Though I'm discovering that FCP6. doesn't support HDV24 frame. I've been down this road before. While the internal work flow is not so much a problem it's the down conversion that's confusing me. I need to produced BACK to analog BETA SP, or H.264.

(I build TV commercials). Shooting in native 60P or 30P is a cinch. FCP takes care of that and so does KONA LH. My issue is whether it's within the the JVC Deck Output (I doubt) the KONA control panel (strong possibliltiy) or FCP, which is what it is.

So...24P video shot on a JVC, import back into FCP via Firewire on an JVC HD 50 deck and then output back out to uncompressed 8 bit on Beta. HELP!

Mike Maloney
Maloney Marketing Group

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Feb 16, 2009 at 11:53:20 am

You can run component HD out of that deck - why not just go component & RS-422 into the Kona and ignore firewire completely?

-Simmie
6 MacPros - Kona 3 & Kona LH
1 G5s - Kona LH
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS3
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 16, 2009 at 1:46:32 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I don't think you can capture just the 24p frames with JVC unless you come in firewire. "

yeah

http://www.aja.com/pdf/support/AJA_whitepaper_HDV.pdf

this covers both HDV formats, the JVC issue requires the Deck that was listed in the original post.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Mike Maloney
on Feb 16, 2009 at 9:57:16 pm

Thanks for the white paper from KONA, that's precisely what I was looking for in the research.

Of course, and it's an Apple thing, providing some additional support in the firewire domain would be very helpful.

All the best,

Mike Maloney

Mike Maloney
Maloney Marketing Group

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 17, 2009 at 3:52:33 am

Stuart is correct. I assume you have an AJA Kona LH or LHe - correct ? You have the very nice JVC BR-HD50U VTR. You shoot at 23.98, and this VTR all by itself will add the pulldown, and spit out a 720p 59.94 signal. Forget 24 (boy, Jeremy will beat me one day). Let the JVC BR-HD50U do what it is meant to do. Take the Y Pb Pr signal out of the JVC, right into the Kona LHe, use RS422 (no firewire), and you have a wonderful, easy to use, no aggrivation profesional solution. End of story. Everyone happy. Stop creating problems that are not there.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 17, 2009 at 4:24:25 am

[Bob Zelin] "Forget 24 (boy, Jeremy will beat me one day"

:) No, I won't. There's no other way with JVC material.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]