FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage Convertion

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Major
Footage Convertion
on Feb 13, 2009 at 4:34:59 pm

Hi Everyone, I'm looking for opinions. I've just been given footage to start editing a documentary. Some footage was shot with a Panasonic HVX-200 720p 24 (23.98) and some was shot with a JVC GY-HD110U 720p 24P. What would be the best way to convert one or the other so they match?

I'll be editing the doc with FCP 6 on a Mac Pro Quad(OS 10.5.6), Kona LHe (6.0.2) and plenty of fast raid storage.

The Panasonic P2 footage transfers right in via log and transfer, and the JVC footage has to be digitized from a JVC BR-HD50 deck that runs through a HD connect-MI box to the SDI of the Kona.

Conversions are not my strong suit. When I tried to digitize the JVC footage matching the Panasonic footage settings, the JVC footage runs slow. I thought this might happen but am unsure how to correct it.

What would be the best way to go?

I appreciate everyones time and input.

~John

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Footage Convertion
on Feb 14, 2009 at 5:41:01 pm

First capture it as DVCPRO HD 720p60. Then use COMPRESSOR to convert to DVCPRO HD 720p24.

THe Kona does not do frame rate conversions.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Major
on Feb 14, 2009 at 6:50:34 pm

Thanks for the input Shane. I've been using compressor thus far for convertions, I just wasn't sure which way I should go as far as the final editing frame rate. I most commonly work in 720p 60. So I didn't know if there was an advantage converting the JVC footage to match the Panasonic, or vice versa.

Thanks, John

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 16, 2009 at 1:41:30 pm

[John Major] "I'll be editing the doc with FCP 6 on a Mac Pro Quad(OS 10.5.6), Kona LHe (6.0.2) and plenty of fast raid storage. The Panasonic P2 footage transfers right in via log and transfer, and the JVC footage has to be digitized from a JVC BR-HD50 deck that runs through a HD connect-MI box to the SDI of the Kona. "

WHY?

the Deck supports direct capture via component? - by adding the convergent box in the middle you are stripping away any data that may pass over RS422 from the deck over serial. I have been able to use that hardware with the AJA Kona DVCPROHD 720p23.08 VFR easy setup to capture direct from the JVC deck to 720p23.98 DVCProHD when it is attached via serial.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

John Major
on Feb 16, 2009 at 1:49:38 pm

Interesting Point. So there isn't any suffering of video quality by going component analog vs. through the box and into the SDI?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 16, 2009 at 3:25:14 pm

[John Major] "Interesting Point. So there isn't any suffering of video quality by going component analog vs. through the box and into the SDI? "

I did not say that at all. I said that component in its digital form is called SDI

I have rejected use of the convergent designs box because I did not like the quality, signal delay, lack of TC and other things, it is a garbage-in / garbage-out scenario. Taking that FW signal and converting to HDSDI is NOT anything like doing this with an OEM hardware solution.

I see no difference between FW (data) capture and the CD box's conversion for lack of video information whereas a baseband video signal taken out directly out of a camera or deck as the best available.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Larry Asbell
on Feb 16, 2009 at 3:46:00 pm

Gary are you thinking of a different Convergent Design box?

The HD Connect-MI converts to HD-SDI video from a decks HDMI output, not firewire. And it is very good.

It uses firewire only for machine control and TC.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 16, 2009 at 4:31:24 pm

[Larry Asbell] "The HD Connect-MI converts to HD-SDI video from a decks HDMI output, not firewire. And it is very good. "

My experience is different.

Mainly due to the fact that specific CD Box fakes a 10bit signal from the original HDMI 1.2 signal which only supports an 8 bit signal path.

Two other things about HDMI-
It was NEVER initially intended to be anything other than a consumer delivery protocol for signals it does not support TC transport or device control protocols of any type.

ALL Interlaced content played back thru HDMI needs to be line doubled in the signal path for proper viewing on your display device since the protocol only supports progressive delivery to a display.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

John Major
on Feb 16, 2009 at 5:01:52 pm

Gary, I actually get timecode just fine using the HD connect MI. I don't use the firewire deck control, I use the RS-422 from the Kona attached directly to the br-hd50 deck. The HD connect MI only converts the video and audio from the HDMI to HD-SDI. I have no lag, frame accuracy issues, or anything.
I agree that HDMI isn't an ideal for broadcast use, but my thought was that it was a better option than going component analog.

Thoughts?

~John

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 16, 2009 at 5:13:42 pm

[John Major] "Gary, I actually get timecode just fine using the HD connect MI. I don't use the firewire deck control, I use the RS-422 from the Kona attached directly to the br-hd50 deck. "

You are not getting TC from the CD Box you are bypassing it altogether by connecting the deck directly to the Kona card.

I do not like this setup since my tests showed a consistent 3-5 frame delay (changed with frame rate) with this conversion setup, and that was not acceptable for my needs.

I do not understand why component out of the JVC deck into your LHE is not good enough?
You have an LHE that is fully capable of acquiring a OEM converted signal in this manner. but you have added an unnecessary piece of hardware to the mix.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]