FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow: KLHe & XDCAM EX 1080i60

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Gordon
Workflow: KLHe & XDCAM EX 1080i60
on Feb 11, 2009 at 5:33:01 pm

I'm about to start posting a show using FCP 6.0.3 and an AJA Kona LHe.

This will be a 5 camera studio shoot, and the camera company will provide the footage & sound mix on a hard drive after the shoot.

This show will broadcast in SD NTSC 29.97 - final deliverable on Digibeta.

The camera company has provided me with a 1 minute clip example of the kind of footage they want to record to the hard drive.

From Quicktime:
Apple XDCAM EX 1080i60; 1920 x 1080; 29.97 fps

I'm having a hard time uncovering the correct recipe of Sequence Settings, Video Out Settings and AJA Control Panel Settings.

I dropped the clip into a sequence and let Final Cut create the Seq settings. They were:

1920 x 1080
XDCAM EX 1080i60

For Video Playback, I don't not see a playback option of 1080i60, so in experimenting with the various settings either audio & picture is out of sync (1080i29.97) The picture quality degrades (525i29.97) or I have to render.

Sooooo,
What is the best workflow for this situation???

One last note: This footage is obviously anamorphic, but I think the show producers might want a fullscreen 4:3 delivery and I'd love to avoid centercutting the whole thing by hand. I suspect the Camera company is shooting on the Sony EX camera. I have never worked with footage from this camera before - should I be requesting the footage be shot in another codec??

Thanks in advance - any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

- Jesse Gordon

Return to posts index

David Lavery
Re: Workflow: KLHe & XDCAM EX 1080i60
on Feb 13, 2009 at 3:07:43 pm

I've been using the EX with my FCP and LHe for a while and their are work arounds for most all the frame rates, although a easy setup called AJA-EXcam 1080i60 would be a wonderful thing... It aint happening.
Try using AJA kona LH- 1080i 29.97 apple prores 422 (HQ). That should work. I just post the whole thing in that and then let the card do the down convert when I master out... looks great.

Return to posts index

Jesse Gordon
on Feb 14, 2009 at 11:03:02 pm

Do you mean that you convert the XDCAM EX3 footage to Prores 422 (HQ) footage? I am trying to avoid transcoding all of the media as there is a ton of it, and it will take forever.

Return to posts index

David Lavery
on Feb 15, 2009 at 12:52:11 pm

No, you don't change your footage at all. Here's the easiest way to set it up. Use your Transfer software. Than take the folder with all your raw clips into FCP. You set up your easy setup like I discussed above... then Apple N and make a new sequence. By default the sequence will be in the AJA setting. Drag any clip from your bin to the timeline directly. The pop-up window comes up and says "your clip does not match your sequence setting. For best results you should change your sequence to match your clip..." Click yes. Now your clip is in the timeline and it's XD native but your AJA hardware is working, and your HD monitor will display your footage perfectly. then you can delete that clip and start editing.
for 720p 24 footage use the AJA pro-res 422(HQ) vericam setting in your easy setup and repeat the process.
Whatever the size or frame rate you can experiment and get your AJA to work properly. Then if you are mastering to SD digi-beta. Open control pannel and change your output to SD and let AJA do your down convert. You edit your project in real time without rendering then master to tape with the AJA control panel doing the down convert for you. Looks great. I can e-mail you a project with a dummy clip in it that has the settings all set if you want.
d

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]