FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newb question about Kona card

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan John
Newb question about Kona card
on Feb 10, 2009 at 3:44:56 am

So I am reading "Up-Converting SD for HD Projects and HD Cross-Conversion Using AJA Kona 3" here in the tutorials.

What I do not understand is the point exactly of the Kona card. I simply insert SD footage into an HD timeline and the footage plays in realtime (I am referring to FCP). So what is the benefit of the Kona card exactly?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Newb question about Kona card
on Feb 10, 2009 at 2:25:55 pm

[Evan John] "So what is the benefit of the Kona card exactly?"

1) control over your working environment, to all for REAL TIME conversions from one format or raster size to another.- no rendering, no waiting,

2) Capture and Output from Broadcast devices such as tape decks, cameras, film scanners, TV's, cable and broadcast, additionally the ability to handle any formats being used worldwide.

3) Adding those abilities to FCP, AfterEffects, Motion, Soundtrack

3) True 10bit Monitoring- the vast majority of computer monitors are only 8bit, SMPTE video uses higher specs than a standard computer monitor.

Video cards like Aja's Kona 3 offer FCP users the same power and controls on their FCP and Adobe NLE's systems that were previously found on the most expensive systems only available from companies AVID, AUTODESK and others.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 10, 2009 at 2:49:30 pm

[gary adcock] "1) control over your working environment, to all for REAL TIME conversions from one format or raster size to another.- no rendering, no waiting, "

And I'll add multiple conversions at the same time in realtime.

The Kona 3 has three outputs for example, you can set up all three to output something different in realtime. Typically we work in 720p HD but have to deliver 1080i to the networks and very often our clients want a DVD for review or to keep on hand. So my outputs are typically set up as:

SDI 1 - 720p HD to my monitors

SDI 2 - Convert to 1080i HD to the record VTR

Component - Convert to 525 SD for the DVD Recorder.

All of this happens in realtime, in full broadcast quality. In addition, the inputs can also be set up independently for conversions if necessary.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 10, 2009 at 2:51:44 pm

[walter biscardi] "And I'll add multiple conversions at the same time in realtime. "

thanks walter....

since I never have to do that function, I often forget.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]