FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 Looses Video When Switched to Desktop

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lorne Miess
Kona 3 Looses Video When Switched to Desktop
on Feb 10, 2009 at 2:33:04 am

Hi,

I've been having an issue with my Kona 3. When I'm in Final Cut Pro or Color the Kona switched to 525 and looses video to the legalizer we have running causing a restart. I set the Kona control panel to 180psf 23.98 to match the FCP or Color sequence then launch the application. When I go to the desktop for any reason the output switches. Yes, I kow don't go to the desktop but the controls for the legalizer and other application are only available there. Any ideas?

Thanks

Lorne

Lorne Miess
Senior Colourist
Insight Film Studios
Vancouver, BC

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona 3 Looses Video When Switched to Desktop
on Feb 10, 2009 at 8:05:17 pm

Is this an external hardware legalizer?

Return to posts index

Lorne Miess
on Feb 10, 2009 at 8:31:53 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Yea, the legalizer is accessible via an IP address that why I'm switching to the desktop and back to Final Cut Pro. Switching is a pain as the legalizer crashes if it's not being feed constant video.

Thanks

Lorne Miess
Senior Colourist
Insight Film Studios
Vancouver, BC

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 10, 2009 at 10:02:39 pm

Hmm. Okay, a couple of more question before I give you a couple of ideas.

What format of video is your legalizer expecting and are you jumping around in formats?

Can you send it video on a different input to keep it stable (say from a blackburst generator or other cheap piece of video gear)?

Also, is that normal for the legalizer?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lorne Miess
on Feb 11, 2009 at 2:29:11 am

Hi,

The legalizer expects to see 1080p before the switch to the desktop 525 I'm not jumping around other than the Kona auto switching. I can't switch the input to the legalizer easily as it in another room to give it a black feed. The legalizer likes constant video or it crashes. If it can't see the output of the Kona, in the expected format, it gets lost.

Thanks

Lorne Miess
Senior Colourist
Insight Film Studios
Vancouver, BC

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 11, 2009 at 6:38:11 am

Okay. Restart your computer and then open the Kona control Panel first. You can then set the input for 1080psf and then you can even save that as a preset. Now launch FCP and set it up for 1080psf. If for some reason that doesn't work or the setting won't stick (although it should and tell us if it doesn't) another trick is to set the default output in the "Control" tab to "Hold Last Application". That way if you go the finder and back to FCP, the video should stay constant. It will only change if you have a different output set in another application. Do you have tri-sync going to your KOna, if so, make sure that you set up the reference tab on both the Finder level and FCP level to 'ref in'.

Let us know how it goes.

Who makes your legalizer? Have you talked to them about this?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lorne Miess
on Feb 12, 2009 at 1:52:04 pm

Hi,

Well, we have success! I tried your ideas and opened the Control Panel set it to the sequence settings, set the Hold Last Application and saved it as a preset. I can now switch back and forth and the settings don't change, yea. The trick is to have the Control Panel active, I wasn't aware of this.

The legalizer is a Harris DL860 that I'm running via Ethernet and now I can fine tune some settings. Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Lorne Miess
Senior Colourist
Insight Film Studios
Vancouver, BC

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 12, 2009 at 6:30:45 pm

Cool. Glad you're up and running.

Jeremy

Return to posts index