FORUMS: list search recent posts

wierdness from my kona 3 .?? constant re-seating

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thompson coles
wierdness from my kona 3 .?? constant re-seating
on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:20:07 am

ok it's a quad core machine with 8 gb of ram. i cannot recall the processor speed.

I've got a kona3 and it seems that i am constantly needing to re-seat the card. here's the scenario, i start the day about the same. get the machine up and running, (Kona shows bars when not used) then launch FCP.

At this point all appears perfect, the monitor activates with FCP, then plays out video and audio just fine. BUT.. here's the kicker.
as soon as i go to capture (this could be five minutes after startup, or five hours) The capture window is blank.

Let me clarify that I and an engineer triple checked every single connection both to and from my bay via the router, direct connect, and the breakout box. it's not faulty wiring, or mis routed signal.

the only glimmer that the card is receiving a signal at all is the fact that every so often a couple scan lines show up in the lower portion of the capture window.

the only effective method I've discovered to resolve the problem is to shutdown the system, disconnect the cables. then remove and re-seat the card. this has worked every time to resolve the capture issue.
The only jarring or movement that my system gets is from this action, nothing more. so I'm having a really hard time figuring out why i have to keep re-seating the card.

Is this an issue with the card or my computer? I want to find out before i beg Aja for a replacement Kona 3.

Anyone else experience issues like this?

Thompson

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: wierdness from my kona 3 .?? constant re-seating
on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:48:41 am

What format are you capturing? Have you used an easy setup? If you use the control panel and set the control to input passthrough and play a tape, do you see picture?

More info is needed.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Thompson Coles
on Feb 8, 2009 at 3:59:03 pm

yes, i'm using an easy setup. capturing dv50. and no video will pass through the card. only out of the card from the fcp timeline. sorry i thought i mentioned that i change none of the settings, only re-seat the card and everything returns to normal.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:09:15 pm

You need to find out the intage of your MacPro and make sure the card is in the right PCIe slot.

http://www.aja.com/html/support_kona_rec_sys.htm

Return to posts index

thompson coles
on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:21:38 pm

the cards in the right spot, if it wasn't it wouldn't work perfectly afterwards. I've checked the setup, everything is as it should be. i just cannot figure out why i need to re-seat to get the card to capture. it looks like I'll be calling Aja tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2009 at 4:50:01 pm

[thompson coles] "the cards in the right spot, if it wasn't it wouldn't work perfectly afterwards."

That's not necessarily true. Your card couls be bad, but I suspect a config issue. It's different depeding on ehich Mac you have, and if you have an 'older' MacPro you need to go into the PCIe config utitlity and make sure you setup the lanes properly.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

thompson coles
on Feb 8, 2009 at 5:11:22 pm

how many lanes does it require, I've given it 8 lanes, the card sits in slot 2. As far as I've read the card is as it should be. I've trouble shot this card up and down and i haven't discovered a major issue with the installation, but I'm open to it. have i installed it incorrectly?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2009 at 5:43:21 pm

Okay, just for the simple fact that you can in fact assign lanes, I would think that you have an older (i.e. Pre2008) MacPro. That's what I have and it works great.

You need to put the card in slot3 and then setup your PCIe config to option number 2:

http://www.aja.com/html/support_xena_boards/exp_large.htm

Again, you need to read this page carefully about how to configure a Pre2008 MacPro

http://www.aja.com/html/support_kona_rec_sys.htm#

Jeremy

Return to posts index

thompson coles
on Feb 8, 2009 at 5:56:59 pm

thanks ill replace the card to slot 3, and reconfigure the slot. I had been given advice to set it up differently. Thanks for the correction.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 8, 2009 at 7:42:46 pm

Jeremy is correct (Jeremy is always correcT) - put the card into slot 3, and TRASH YOUR FCP PREFERENCES. The card should be set for x4 lanes. So should your storage card that may be in slot 4.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 9, 2009 at 2:49:25 pm

[thompson coles] " the card sits in slot 2."

Not in a Quad machine- the card should be in SLOT 3 or 4 depending on your storage requirements.

Have you set the PCI slot utility correctly?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 9, 2009 at 2:47:52 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "[thompson coles] "the cards in the right spot, if it wasn't it wouldn't work perfectly afterwards."
That's not necessarily true. Your card couls be bad, but I suspect a config issue."

I have only seen this once before as a hardware problem.
I suspect a logic board issue, you could have a partial connection internally on one of your slots.

we would like

QT versions
Kona driver and Firmware versions (My second guess)
Machine spec.

RAM slot and type order too.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Thompson Coles
on Feb 26, 2009 at 6:29:11 am

Well as for an update, I've changed the card around, and the problem is still happening. i'll be calling Aja as soon as i can see above the tide of work

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 26, 2009 at 6:30:57 am

Are you on 10.5.6? When you updated to 10.5.6, did you just do the normal software update?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]