FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixing P2 and HDV with a Kona 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Wulzen
Mixing P2 and HDV with a Kona 3
on Feb 4, 2009 at 9:00:18 pm

I have an upcoming project that will involve mixing footage shot with a HVX-200 at 720p60 as well as material from a Canon XH-G1s. Essentially, I want to do a cross-conversion with a Kona 3 on the footage shot with the Canon to match the P2 material, but I'm not sure which frame rate to shoot on with the Canon to make the conversion seamless.

With the Canon, I have three different options for frame rates; 24f, 30f, and 60i. From what I have read about using the Kona 3 for cross-conversion, and matching like Hz, I assume 24f is not really an option, and that's fine. But between 30f and 60i? What would make the process as simple (in relative terms) as possible?

Any thoughts or ideas on workflow?

Thanks!

-David Wulzen

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Mixing P2 and HDV with a Kona 3
on Feb 4, 2009 at 10:26:54 pm

I'd shoot 60i as that will match 60p as close as possible.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Wulzen
on Feb 4, 2009 at 11:16:17 pm

That certainly makes the most sense, but (just for argument's sake) is it any more of a headache to shoot 30f?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 5, 2009 at 12:08:26 am

Honestly, I've never seen 30f. I know that 24f is some sort of approximation of 24p so I don't know what 30f is. To keep it simple and to match your 720p60 footage, I'd stick with 60i

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 9, 2009 at 2:24:03 pm

What jeremy says. Also capture the canon material to 720p 60 through the kona so you have perfectly matched footage. We do this all the time with Sony Z1u footage to match it up with hdx-900 footage.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

David Wulzen
on Feb 9, 2009 at 5:20:35 pm

Yes, the plan was definitely to capture the Canon material at 720p60 to match with the DVCPro HD material.

So I've been running a couple tests, shooting with all three of the Canon frame rates (60i, 30f, 24f), and have been ingesting through the Kona 3 at 720p60 (there have been some issues with deck control, but I'll get to that in a second). So far it appears that each of the frame rates are capturing perfectly, even if the tape jumps from one to another without a break. All of them seem to match perfectly with the previous 720p material. Weird (?) but good.

For the mean time before I can purchase a HDV deck, I've been using the HD-SDI out of the XH, but I can't get any deck control via Firewire. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help you two.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]