FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cal Digit Raid Card and Kona 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Sanchez
Cal Digit Raid Card and Kona 3
on Feb 2, 2009 at 7:20:55 pm

This question is aimed primarily at Bob, though any input would be appreciated. I just bought an HD Element and Cal Digit Raid Card and I'm going to install it later tonight, but I have a couple questions regarding the slot placement based on their instructions and AJA's for the Kona LHe. I don't have a Kona LHe yet, but I'm going to be buying one very soon.

My question is regarding slot placement. Both the Cal Digit Raid Card and the LHe's instructions mention to install on slot 3. I'm using a Pre 2008 Mac Pro (1,1) with my expansion slot utility set to option 2 (4, 4, 1, 16). Checking in the Cal Digit forum, I was told that Cal Digit recommends slot 3 for heat dissipation. I'm just looking for advice in determining which card will produce the most heat and which slot would be the best to install the card into.

Thanks!

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Cal Digit Raid Card and Kona 3
on Feb 3, 2009 at 3:05:43 am

heat shmeet ! I always use slot 3 and slot 4. I have never used slot 2 for any of the installations, against AJA's (sometimes) advice.

AJA in slot 3, SAS/SATA host in slot 4. It works. Both x4 lanes.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Feb 3, 2009 at 3:23:29 am

Heat shmeet indeed! I use slot 2 with a PCI-E firewire card for my SD IO but that'll be icks-nayed once I get the LHe in. Thanks again Bob!

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

Richard Dee
on Feb 6, 2009 at 4:24:04 pm

Wow - great thread.

I am just about to order the HD Element today, and the slot advice is what I needed.

Is Bob a VAR? If so, I'd buy it from him, just to get yelled at!

I'm trying to decide if I should get the 6 TB unit (four 1.5 TB drives) or the 4 TB unit, and 4 extra smaller drives for around the same cost.

I too am stuck with a FW card, though. I can't seem to get my Tascam FW1884's flying faders to work smoothly on the mac's built in FW bus if any other FW device is plugged into it.

I hate loosing a slot for FW400!!! It reminds me of my first Promax FW card ($500!!!) in a beige G3.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Feb 6, 2009 at 4:33:27 pm

[Richard Dee] "Is Bob a VAR? If so, I'd buy it from him, just to get yelled at! "

bob is one of the guys that provides engineering and support for MaxxDigital. You can order the CalDigit from them and bob will be happy to yell at you as you try to set it up.

http://www.maxxdigital.com

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Feb 6, 2009 at 7:23:08 pm

What's up Richard?

I took Bob's advice and put it in slot 4. However, after I followed the manual to set the cards to control my four internal drives, I found even after untangling the IPass cable, I could not get it to reach the raid card (I came within inches, but I decided if I tugged it too hard I'd either damage the cable, or it'd put too much tension on the raid card and damage that). I use a first generation mac pro, so if you have a more recent one, it's probably configured differently inside and you'll have better luck. That array is a monster though, I love it! Hope yours treats you well!

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]