FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting to my Plasma TV?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Price
Connecting to my Plasma TV?
on Jan 29, 2009 at 1:49:07 pm

Hello,

I'm using the Kona LHe with the breakout rack - love it, wonderful piece of kit - but I currently have it connected to my TV via the composite input. The TV is a PAL HD 42" LG with every connection known to man (inconveniently placed around the back of course!)and I'd like to know how to connect my card to it via the HDMI connector so I can watch my edits in proper HD.

I have to say this TV is not very impressive when connected with a composite phono cable, so I'm hoping I can better results another way.

I'm editing on a Mac Pro running FCP and I have 8Gb RAM and 2 x 3.2GHz Quadcore processors and 2 x NEC LCD Widescreen monitors.

Thanks,

Steve.

Return to posts index

Joseph Borruso
Re: Connecting to my Plasma TV?
on Jan 29, 2009 at 2:49:09 pm

You need to get an SDI to HDMI converter. AJA has one. It is called a Hi5
http://www.aja.com/html/products_converters_HI5.html

I have one and it works great.

Return to posts index

Steve Price
on Jan 29, 2009 at 4:41:55 pm

Fabulous! Thanks.

Return to posts index

James Reid
on Jan 30, 2009 at 1:14:42 am

But note that AJA has this to add:

"The Hi5 does not encode the HDMI output with HDCP encryption.
By definition, SDI/HD-SDI inputs to the Hi5 are unencrypted.
The HDMI specification requires HDMI monitors to support unencrypted inputs."

Many consumer HD TV sets only accept Hi-def 1080p when it is HDCP encrypted. Some others will accept unencrypted. The manual for the set will tell you.
Check it out first before you buy the Hi5

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Jan 30, 2009 at 2:41:16 pm

[James Reid] "The HDMI specification requires HDMI monitors to support unencrypted inputs."

See, the HI5 will work fine.

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Jan 29, 2009 at 5:05:09 pm

Can't you just feed it the component signal from your LH?

-Simmie
6 MacPros - Kona 3 & Kona LH
1 G5s - Kona LH
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS3
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

Steve Price
on Jan 29, 2009 at 5:10:34 pm

I guess so, but that's still analogue, I was wondering how to keep everything digital all the way through the system.
Thanks for your suggestion though,
All the best,
Steve.

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Jan 29, 2009 at 6:53:24 pm

Digital or analog, it's still not going to be a reliable display for accurate, critical production. That's what professional displays are for. You wouldn't use your analog living room CRT TV for professional production, even if it does have those nice Y'Pb'Pr inputs. You'd use a professional/broadcast monitor. It just depends on what kind of production you're doing, and how accurate of an image you want to look at. It may suit you fine if you're off-lining or doing DVD/BD stuff, but not really for broadcast on-lines.

Return to posts index

Christopher Tay
on Jan 30, 2009 at 2:33:39 am

Some places I've been to have consumer monitors in the edit suite, in addition to the professional monitors as the editors wants to see how the images would look like on a consumer monitor. It's not a real representative of what we end up seeing at home coz what we see at home are MPEG compressed images but some would argue that one should also see how the images look like, especially when grading is involved, on a consumer monitor to get a gauge.

What say you ?

-chrispy

PS : I see Bob on the way...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 30, 2009 at 11:36:13 am

[Christopher Tay] "What say you ? "

I've always felt that's a good idea. We don't have room anymore for consumer tv's in our rooms, but if you have the room, it's not a bad idea.

Of course, these days with such high quality LCD and Plasma screens out there, that's becoming a moot point.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Jan 30, 2009 at 2:36:30 pm

[Christopher Tay] "at say you ?"

Completely agree. It's like after you've just mixed that awesome soundtrack for a new program, and then playing it through your internal computer speaker to hear how it translates in lo-fi situations. But I still use the nice studio monitors for mixing. :)

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 30, 2009 at 11:34:40 am

[Steve Price] "I guess so, but that's still analogue, I was wondering how to keep everything digital all the way through the system. "

That's all we do here. We have three HD suites with three Panasonic Pro Plasmas. All are fed via Component from our AJA Kona 3's. Image is pristine with no additional cost.

Only the BluRay players feed the screens via HDMI.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]