FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media 100 HD suite w/ Kona3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Joyce
Media 100 HD suite w/ Kona3
on Jan 28, 2009 at 7:37:08 pm

I'm getting ready to try the Media 100 HD suite trial download w/ my existing Kona 3 card. I am on a Mac OSX 10.5.5 with QT 7.5.5, Kona 6.0.1 and with updated firmware. Will this work? I want a stable Final Cut Pro 6.05 well as Media 100.

Should I downgrade my Kona firmware to 32bit? upgrade Kona & drives to 6.0.2? upgrade QT???

Any adivce would be really appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Media 100 HD suite w/ Kona3
on Jan 28, 2009 at 7:52:34 pm

I'd create a separate boot partition for this with it's own opertaing system. M100 has different requirements than FCP.

Return to posts index

Ted Joyce
on Jan 28, 2009 at 10:04:00 pm

Thanks,
Seems like a lot of work to reload the OS, update & M100 software et all, and a hastle to reboot to use.

Would M100 HD producer also require this? Of course I wouldn't have access to the Kona outputs but maybe I could install both. Then I could edit w/ producer/and Final Cut as desired and reboot only when I need M100 I/O for capture or layoff.

Is this practical??

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 28, 2009 at 10:19:41 pm

[Ted Joyce] "Would M100 HD producer also require this? Of course I wouldn't have access to the Kona outputs but maybe I could install both"

I don't know. If it doesn't use the kona card, maybe?

[Ted Joyce] "Is this practical??"

It's up to you. I think rebooting is not that hard. Just hold option when you start up to choose your boot disk. Do you need both systems? What are you trying to do?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

ted Joyce
on Jan 30, 2009 at 4:01:14 am

Dear Jerramy,

I am unsure if if even want to use the M100 HD producer rather than FC Pro. I want to do a 14 day test and move slowly into it.
I've 4 or 5 old M100 pgms that I'd like to get into periodically, possibly port to FC. If HD M100 is as easy to use as the old m100i I may want to move into the full HD suite.

I do mostly long form programs. I currently doing 2 2 1/2hr 5 camera 16mm films telecined to 1080p/24 ProRes4:2:2HQ files (sync, edit, color correct etc). FC is slow and clunkly w/ this much material on a timeline. When I turn video tracks on and off as I do to see different camera angles, it stops to display video for 10 to 20 sec.

Hard drives: I'm using LaCie's 4Big Quadra w/ its firewire800 ports (it seems to work for now at ~80MPS). I'd planned to use it their w/ eSata PCI card but LaCie don't sell any that will work reliably with their dirve (it did give 133MPS w/ my frame size in the Kona Test but kept crashing the OS). LaCie says they will have a driverless set of PCI Mac eSata cards coming out in February which should resolve this. They didn't know of any cards that would work w/ their drives.

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jan 30, 2009 at 5:05:19 am

Hi Ted

I'm pretty sure the new M100H/D suite will play happily with FCP on a Kona system now without having to reboot. I have the older G5 Quad system with KonaLhe and do have to reboot. But now one of the big selling points of M100 is they play happily together (I'm gonna upgrade sometime soon). In fact you can now import/export timelines between fcp/m1oo systems - cool!

Although before you rush in I'd post this same question over in the M100 forum (if you haven't already) Floh will confirm this for you.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 1, 2009 at 7:51:18 pm

your clunky response is due to your drives. Buy real disk drives, and you will have no issues. What are real disk drives - look to your left, look to your right - there are plenty of banner ads on this forum from PROFESSIONAL drive manufacturers.

How professionals continue to use Lacie is just beyond me.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]