FORUMS: list search recent posts

RCA Outputs on KL Box

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Ward
RCA Outputs on KL Box
on Jan 26, 2009 at 3:22:19 pm

With the Analog Audio Monitor Level set to +24dBu in the AJA Control Panel, has anyone else measured -4dBV (at -20dBFS) and run into clipping at -6dBFS on the RCA outputs of the KL box of an LHe? This is supposed to be -10dBV, right?

After some procrastinating, I finally took the time to track this down where I was "clipping" (or so it sounded) before I was clipping. I've since switched the monitors to the DA outputs, and all is well. I just wondered if anyone else ran into this.

tim

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: RCA Outputs on KL Box
on Jan 27, 2009 at 2:42:08 am

what do you think - you are going to be able to take the RCA analog outputs of the Kona 3 and go into the analog XLR inputs of a Sony analog +4dBu VTR without amplification ?

RCA outputs do not have +4dB outputs - from anyone, for any reason, nor should anyone expect this.

Thats why EVERYONE (except you) owns a MIXER !!!!!!!!!

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Jan 27, 2009 at 2:43:58 pm

[Bob Zelin] "what do you think - you are going to be able to take the RCA analog outputs of the Kona 3 and go into the analog XLR inputs of a Sony analog +4dBu VTR without amplification ?"

-I do not think that at all. As stated above, I have an LHe, not a Kona 3. I didn't mention any connections to a VTR, and I didn't mention a mixer, because I thought that was understood.

"RCA outputs do not have +4dB outputs - from anyone, for any reason, nor should anyone expect this."

-I stated that I knew they should be -10dBV.

"Thats why EVERYONE (except you) owns a MIXER !!!!!!!!!"

-I use a Mackie 1402.

XLR analog outputs --> Leitch ASD-880 (FR684AV frame) DA --> Sony PVW-2800 + Tek 1760 scope + KRK V8 monitors (through mixer) + dub station

XLR AES output --> Logitek UltraVU meters

RCA analog outputs used to go to V8's (through mixer)

Outputting a -20dBFS sine wave, the RCA outputs read -4dBV (not -10dBV), while the XLR analog outs read +4dBu and the XLR AES outs read -20dBFS (all measured with a Phonic PAA3 RTA). The RCA's clip (as in, it comes out of the Kona that way), and the XLR's don't.

The way the monitors are connected now gives me no clipping, and doesn't prevent me from doing anything, so I'm satisfied with it. I just posted my situation and findings to see if anyone else knew of, or experienced this.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 28, 2009 at 3:48:27 am

Tim -
you may be right ! I will be in front of a Kona 3 with K3 box (same idea as the LHe with KL box) very soon. I will measure exactly what you just did, and I will report back. If you are right, we will torture AJA !

Bob Zelin
ps - don't worry, I won't forget.

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Jan 28, 2009 at 4:32:14 pm

I'm interested to see what you find, and if I'm an anomaly or not, or I have a problem. Hopefully there aren't any differences with how the Boxes obtain their audio (since the LH has analog outs). Do the RCA's on both Boxes derive their signal from the same source?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]