FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Kona Timecode Capture

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Clifford
AJA Kona Timecode Capture
on Jan 24, 2009 at 1:12:52 am

I am capturing HDCAM 23.98psf to Apple ProRes 422 HQ and need my timecode. The source timecode does jump and Kona VTR exchange recognizes when it jumps but my final captured files timecode stay continuous. How can this be fixed. My settings are RP-188 and capture card is set to capture Rp-188 VITC. I"m just at a loss of why my final capture does not include my timecode jumps.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AJA Kona Timecode Capture
on Jan 24, 2009 at 3:59:57 am

If your tc jumps, then you need to log and capture around those jumps.

If performing a logged batch capture using FCP, then make sure to set your preferences like this:

Return to posts index

Jason Clifford
on Jan 29, 2009 at 9:25:19 pm

can you repost these settings.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 2, 2009 at 5:41:59 pm

Yes, sorry about that. I thought that it would stay up there, but I guess if I delete it out of my library it goes away. At any rate, here you go:

prefs

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 24, 2009 at 2:22:39 pm

[Jason Clifford] "I am capturing HDCAM 23.98psf to Apple ProRes 422 HQ and need my timecode."

jason

How are you trying to do this? Only the IoHD currently supports embedded LTC timecode over HDSDI direct from a camera or deck. The Cards all handle TC over 9pin serial from decks only.

TImecode from a deck should be sent over RS422 and should not be set to the RP188 since HDCAM does not use the RP188 stream for flag info.

Please tell us you are NOT using Capture Now, and that you are setting hard i/o points

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jason Clifford
on Jan 24, 2009 at 2:49:58 pm

I am coming in directly off of my cam deck into my mac. I have tried both ways (mark I/O and capture now) and actually get the same results. Also have set VTR Exchange settings from RP-188 to "deck". Same result. I have even gone into my Kona control panel and changed my timecode settings to RP-188 LTC, RP-188 VITC 1, RP-188 VITC2..blah blah.All the results are the same. Kona board sees the timecode jump while encoding but capture just stays continuous when playing back.
Also I have another mac with the Kona 2 board and have the loHD setting there but do not see that on my kona 3 board.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 24, 2009 at 3:52:04 pm

[Jason Clifford] "I am coming in directly off of my cam deck into my mac. I have tried both ways (mark I/O and capture now) and actually get the same results. Also have set VTR Exchange settings from RP-188 to "deck". Same result. "

OK
what part of " LTC only works on the IoHD" did you miss.

you cannot capture TC direct from the camera using a Kona Card- thats not what they were designed for - thats what the ioHD was designed for.

"Kona control panel and changed my timecode settings to RP-188 LTC, RP-188 VITC 1, RP-188 VITC2..blah blah.All the results are the same. "

Duh....
what part of Sony does not support RP188 in camera in addition to NOT being able to read embedded LTC timecode are you not seeing here.

"I am coming in directly off of my cam deck into my mac. I have tried both ways (mark I/O and capture now) and actually get the same results."

OK not to sound to stupid here but

Without serial control to and from the camera how in the •¶§∞¢£ world are you setting an in and an out point? Not on any HDcam camera I know of in existence.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jason Clifford
on Jan 24, 2009 at 4:01:39 pm

I'm sorry I wasn't that clear. I said cam meaning HDcam. I do not have a camera. This is coming directly off a hdcam deck. For this I am an idiot.

Return to posts index

Jason Clifford
on Jan 24, 2009 at 4:20:08 pm

So I do have serial control. I am getting my VITC. If I was to dump this to another HDCam or HDCam SR or even a Panasonic format, my timecode will jump (example: talking head 1 tc -10:00:00:00-10:04:30:00 talking head 2 comes up time code jumps to hr 11:00:00:00) just like the master. This would work obviously. I am getting my timecode into my mac. This has been established. I have deck control and can see my timecode coming in. When it switches to hour 11 it is reading the VITC and my kona board sees the timecode jump. As soon as my encoding is done I playback my capture and when it should jump to hour 11 timecode it doesn't. It goes right along 10:04:31:00 and keeps rolling. I am trying to avoid capturing these clips individually. If that's what I have to do then I am fine with that.
I know I have said all this I am just trying to be more detailed to avoid anymore confusion.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 24, 2009 at 8:11:20 pm

Log and capture individual clips like I said in my first post. It's what you have to do. You can use FCP and set your prefs like I showed you if you insist on trying to capture your tapes in one go, which isn't the way I like to work anyway. When you have one big long clip and that media gets lost, stolen or broken you then have to recapture that whole clip. Capturing little bits of clips is always much easier to recapture and it allows for easier organization for editing. With non continuous tc, this will be a pain in the ass. Sorry, it's true. TOD tc (or whatever you have) has been the bane of editors existences for tape based captures since the days of yore. Producers love it, though. With tapeless, TOD tc now becomes an actual joy, but that's just an aside. Also, the audio playback should be set to low, sorry about that and thanks, Gary.

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Jan 25, 2009 at 4:09:16 am

Hello,

Thought I would throw this out there....

This type of capture (assemble) is done on the Rave and works exactly as you state you need. If your original tape TC jumps from hour 1 to hour 3, we assemble the record the same way(yes, so we can automagically pull the clips apart if needed). Actually we can support this two ways. The method I just stated and one where continuous TC to the tape but the embedded TC stays as the original.

It's all about the coding :)

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 25, 2009 at 5:44:54 pm

[Ramona Howard] "This type of capture (assemble) is done on the Rave and works exactly as you state you need."

It does on the Kona also Ramona, expect when the user is setup the system to ignore the important part of the signal.

[Jason Clifford] "So I do have serial control. I am getting my VITC. "

Yes- but by trying to override the incoming signal to see the RP188 stream as you previously stated you in effect have told the computer to ignore the Serial TC and look only for RP188- which is not VITC but frame and field based info, not a "true" timecode signal per se.

jason- by turning on USE RP188 in the Kona control panel- you have effectively told the computer that TC is based on an information stream that is NOT available in the format you are capturing from and to IGNORE that 9 pin serial connection. So your clips all grab the starting TC and with no other information in the TC string - you get free run TC on your clip from the chosen starting point.

That being said

Jeremy is correct- you should be logging and capturing as separate clips based on your comments - especially since FCP will start giving TC break errors sooner or later.

Not to mention all of the other issues like project relinking, send to issues, or even try and offline online if you are this sloppy with your content management.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Jan 25, 2009 at 9:56:57 pm

Hey Gary :)

Hope all is well. Off topic here: Have an exciting demo in LA in Feb if your around. 3D into a stereo Rave, out to our new product (3d Live) which is a mix down of the 2 SDI streams for 3D viewing in real-time on a consumer DLP. Also, the uncompressed DPX frames will be converted to proxies (on the Rave), pushed out to a server for streaming dailies. In addition we will be giving a peek at the new RaveDi, which does scaling and 3D LUTS.

OK back to the topic.....

It does on the Kona also Ramona, expect when the user is setup the system to ignore the important part of the signal.

I guess I missed making the point. We do this regardless if the TC is coming from RP188 or not. This is not done thru the function of just the I/O board but the application itself and other components we use in Rave. Within Rave we support all timecode sources and even a few tricks in the event there is none.

Most of the cases user error is to blame, but not always.

Take it easy,
Ramona

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]