FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP-AJA LH Anamorphic no letterbox problem

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Birch
FCP-AJA LH Anamorphic no letterbox problem
on Jan 20, 2009 at 8:57:44 pm

Anyone help us with our FCP/AJA setup? I'm assuming it's operator error anyway.

We have an anamorphic DV project. Anamorphic media, editing on an anamorphic timeline. Our analog output on the client monitor will not show us a letterboxed output regardless of our settings on the AJA. We are seeing anamorphic 4:3.

We do not have an SDI capable deck or monitor, so I'm not sure of the status of that output.

Thanks,
Bruce

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP-AJA LH Anamorphic no letterbox problem
on Jan 21, 2009 at 7:09:21 am

Bruce,

Though you never said so in your post, I'm assuming you talking about outputting to a 4x3 monitor. Right?

If you feed a squeezed anamorphic signal into a 4x3 monitor, it will rightfully display that squeezed anamorphic signal, as it should, unless the monitor is switchable to 16x9, in which case the signal will be squeezed vertically in order to display as 16x9 letterboxed. That's exactly how it's supposed to work, and it has nothing to do with the component signal vs SDI signal.

The output of your Kona card is not flagged like a DVD to display letterboxed on 4x3 TVs and 16x9 on widescreen monitors, so you must either use a widescreen display, a 4x3 display switchable to 16x9, or drop your timeline into a 4x3 project, which will letterbox it before the I/O card sends the signal to the 4x3 monitor. The Kona card itself is not capable of doing it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 21, 2009 at 2:29:54 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "The Kona card itself is not capable of doing it. "

thats not correct D...

this IoHD control panel does show that the Kona's do have the ability to change the image aspect on output, while the LH we are talking about only has the Down and SD to SD settings, all of these are functional operations available to change the aspect ratio on output over HDSDI / SDI / Component.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 21, 2009 at 4:10:35 pm

Gary,

Are you sure the LH has this capability? I've not been able to do it successfully.

Isn't that considered a cross-conversion? The LH limited to down-convertion, not cross-convertion and up-conversion.

Here's what the control panel looks like on the LH:

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 21, 2009 at 6:30:15 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Are you sure the LH has this capability? I've not been able to do it successfully."

I though all of the products did the SD >SD stuff since the 6.0 driver, but I only have a K3 and an IoHD around until I get back to my office, so I will check later.

ga

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 22, 2009 at 12:45:53 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Are you sure the LH has this capability? I've not been able to do it successfully."

David
you are correct, this can only be down with the tool that can do cross conversion as you said.

my apologies

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 22, 2009 at 2:01:16 am

No problem Gary... I'm always glad to develop a more precise understanding of the feature set and how these things work.

You know, it does seem slightly illogical that something that can do down-conversion cannot do a cross-conversion, but that's something the engineers obviously have figured out.

All the best,
David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 22, 2009 at 2:45:51 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "it does seem slightly illogical that something that can do down-conversion cannot do a cross-conversion"

It takes so much more processing power to handle the Interlace to Progressive done in cross conversions correctly, hence the reason why it is only available on some products.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jan 22, 2009 at 7:22:28 pm

FWIW, the Kona 2 offers this SD-SD cross convert option, but doesn't do the 720-1080. And for anyone with an aging PCI-X Mac, they're often found on eBay for $400-500.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]