FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kernel Panic a go go?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
Kernel Panic a go go?
on Jan 20, 2009 at 2:15:08 am

So, yesterday I was editing right along, when suddenly everything came to a screeching halt, and that translucent gray HUD-looking warning came up in fifty different languages, warning me that I had to shut down the computer. After a restart, my Kona LH was missing in action, which required a uninstall amd reinstall of the drivers, as well as reseating the card in its slot.

My question is, does anyone have a clue what comes first in these situations? Is it a kernal panic that causes a blow out, or the is it something gone wrong with the Kona or drivers that creates a kernel panic?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kernel Panic a go go?
on Jan 20, 2009 at 3:10:18 am

Well, David. If you could actually translate the language on that last line of the warning, you'd notice that this is really a cruel joke from Apple. The end of the message says,THERE'S NOTHING WRONG, WE WERE JUST KIDDING! WE LOVE YOU AND THANKS FOR BUYING A MAC (please restart)! In all honesty, if you want cruel kernel panic jokes, see here:

What version of computer do you have and what are you system specs? Drivers, FCP, QT, the whole shebang.

Any recent updates lately? Is all your RAM showing up in the sys profiler? Has it done it since you reseated the card?

I'd write or call AJA support.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matt Riley
on Jan 20, 2009 at 4:51:08 am

If it happens repeatedly, call AJA. I had a Kona LHe cause me all sorts of grief after less than a month of use. The first time the problem appeared was after a (planned!) system shutdown for some maintenance. Then, every time after that, the machine would panic on boot. Uninstalling the drivers would let it boot normally, which was the smoking gun that it was the Kona card that was causing problems.

A call to AJA allowed them to verify over the phone that the card was being problematic and they shipped me a new card pronto, at no charge for the exchange. Put the new card in, installed the drivers again and it's been good since. That was about five months ago. :-)

So, yeah, call AJA if the standard troubleshooting stuff doesn't pan out.

-Matt

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 20, 2009 at 7:05:23 am

Thanks Matt, but my issue doesn't seem to be bad enough for a swap out. It's only happened a few times in the last three years or so, and I've been able to fix it every time, but I would like to get an idea baout what's causing it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 20, 2009 at 3:39:22 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "I would like to get an idea baout what's causing it. "

check the firmware versions on the card in the Kona Control panel under INFO- make sure that both of the "bit" files listed have 2008 dates.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 20, 2009 at 6:10:10 pm

Thanks Gary, looks like I'm good there however...

VideoProc Bit file: 2008/12/02 14:58:14 (HD)
VideoProc Bit file: 2008/12/02 10:54:27 (SD)

BTW, I like your soulful avatar, it appears you are lost in contemplation.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 20, 2009 at 7:38:05 am

Nice YouTube vid, it actually scares me...

[Jeremy Garchow] "What version of computer do you have and what are you system specs? Drivers, FCP, QT 7.5.4, the whole shebang."

G5 2.3ghz, 5.5gb RAM, Leopard 10.5.5, FCP 6.0.4, QT 7.5.5, Kona 6.0.2 drivers.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Any recent updates lately?"

Nothing important.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Is all your RAM showing up in the sys profiler?"

Yes sir.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Has it done it since you reseated the card?
"

Nope.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]