FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona and XDCAM HD format

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Tay
Kona and XDCAM HD format
on Jan 16, 2009 at 10:47:44 am

Hi,

Has anyone successfully captured via the Kona card into the XDCAM HD422 1080i 50Mbits format ?

I've tried on two different FCP systems with a modified Kona preset using XDCAM HD422 1080i 50Mbits PAL codec but it will report of dropped frame during the capture.

I tried using the XDCAM HD422 1080i 35Mbits PAL codec and was able to capture successfully but when I try to play the clip or scrub the clip on the viewer/timeline, it will go into a 30secs or so spinning beachball before it respond again.

Anyone ?

-chrispy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Kona and XDCAM HD format
on Jan 16, 2009 at 3:21:27 pm

[Christopher Tay] "Has anyone successfully captured via the Kona card into the XDCAM HD422 1080i 50Mbits format "

yes

BUT only on the most robust machine ( K3 on a top of the line 8 core with 16gigs ram) and only to 1080 23.98 and I was only capturing into short 5 minute segments. Remember that it is QT/ OS doing this transcode on the fly - not the card.

I did not try 25 fps and had No success at 29.97.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Jan 19, 2009 at 9:47:58 am

We're editing with it, but we transfer the files direct from the disc over USB. We don't capture any of our XDCAM material the "traditional" way.

Just out of curiosity why are you trying to digitise this way rather than do a file copy?

-Simmie
6 MacPros - Kona 3 & Kona LH
1 G5s - Kona LH
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS3
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

Christopher Tay
on Jan 21, 2009 at 12:03:05 am

Hi Stuart,

Someone asked me if it was possible so I wanted to find out if it can be done. I did some tests and the 8 cores CPU just hit the roof trying to transcode to XDCAM HD422 format during the injest...naturally it zonked out of juice and reported dropped frame.

But yes...the way to bring in the XDCAM materials is via data transfer.

By the way, I haven't tested this yet...after finishing the edit, can you directly edit to tape or does FCP need to process the timeline before it can go to tape ? When I did a render, it has to do some form of conforming...so am wondering if this is the case for tape output.

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Jan 21, 2009 at 11:20:24 am

[Christopher Tay] "When I did a render, it has to do some form of conforming...so am wondering if this is the case for tape output. "

If you change the sequence settings so that it renders in the Prores codec then it doesn't need to conform for the ETT.

-Simmie
6 MacPros - Kona 3 & Kona LH
1 G5s - Kona LH
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS3
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]