FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hooking up AJA Kona Card to KL box to Monitor/decks

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Lang
Hooking up AJA Kona Card to KL box to Monitor/decks
on Jan 16, 2009 at 12:42:46 am

I'm...at a loss here. I'm trying to hook up my MacPro with a Kona LHe card, through a Kona KL box, to a set-top DVD recorder and then to a broadcast monitor, playing out of FCP 6.0.4.

Running Mac OSX 10.5.5 and Quicktime Pro 7.5.5, AJA Control Panel 6.0.2

Ignore the DVD recorder for the moment, I can't even manage to get signal flow through the KL box into the monitor directly.

I'm working in an NTSC timeline, Easy Setup NTSC 29.97 AJA KONA LH-NTSC 10 Bit Uncompressed.

Just cut NTSC color bars into the timeline and playing them to see if the signal shows up on the monitor.
View>External Video>All Frames, View>Video Playback>AJA KONA 525i29.97 10 Bit 720 X 486

For Cable flow, the 3 BNC Cables (SDI IN, SDI OUT 1 and SDI OUT 2) are plugged into their plugs respectively from left to right on the card and then into the "back" of the rack-mounted Kona KL box as well as the deck control cable. I then have my Green/Blue/Red component cables in the video out of the KL box going into their respective component plugs on the broadcast monitor. I also have a black burst generator hooked up to the Ref Video In on the KL box.

My KONA LHe Control Panel has 525i29.97 YUV-8b in the lavender "frame buffer" in the center, and 3 blue horizontal lines going to 3 green triangles for SDI Out 1 (525i29.97), SDI Out 2 (525i29.97) and Analog Out (525i29.97 NTSC Composite).

I'm trying to make this as simple as possible (SD, color bars from FCP, 525i29.97 all the way through) just to get something to show on the monitor, but nothing does. I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing, and I have no idea what it is and I'm out of things to attempt. Ideas are extremely welcome.

Thanks,

Andrew

Return to posts index

Bram Tulloch
Re: Hooking up AJA Kona Card to KL box to Monitor/decks
on Jan 16, 2009 at 2:55:09 am

Not in front of my machine right now, but your analog output setting in the control panel...
If you're using component into your monitor, shouldn't you try and set your analog output to one of the component settings?

You list that your analog out is outputting composite not component.

Return to posts index

Andrew Lang
on Jan 16, 2009 at 7:12:32 am

Tried all 4 analog output choices, still nothing on the monitor.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 16, 2009 at 3:17:22 pm

[Andrew Lang] " working in an NTSC timeline, Easy Setup NTSC 29.97 AJA KONA LH-NTSC 10 Bit Uncompressed. "

[Andrew Lang] "My KONA LHe Control Panel has 525i29.97 YUV-8b in the lavender "frame buffer""

OK
operator error - if you used the 10bit set up the output should be 10bit also
Use the Easy setup once again THEN CREATE A NEW SEQ and try your content there.

OR

Follow the wise advice of bob zelin and take FCP totally out of the loop using bars and tone from the Kona Control panel to see it the setup is working properly- you do not need FCP to test the card and taking it out of the loop will see if the hardware is in error or your settings.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jan 16, 2009 at 7:51:42 pm

[Andrew Lang] "For Cable flow, the 3 BNC Cables (SDI IN, SDI OUT 1 and SDI OUT 2) are plugged into their plugs respectively from left to right on the card and then into the "back" of the rack-mounted Kona KL box as well as the deck control cable. I then have my Green/Blue/Red component cables in the video out of the KL box going into their respective component plugs on the broadcast monitor. I also have a black burst generator hooked up to the Ref Video In on the KL box."

What you do not say is whether or not you're running the analog cable from the card to the box. If this cable isn't connected, you have no analog video going into the box.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Andrew Lang
on Jan 16, 2009 at 8:02:46 pm

"What you do not say is whether or not you're running the analog cable from the card to the box. If this cable isn't connected, you have no analog video going into the box.

Arnie"

Please elaborate on this. As I understood it the only outputs from the Kona card are 2 SDI outputs. Are those outputs multi-purpose? I figured that it sent an SDI signal out to the KL box and then from the KL box the signal ...could come out analog from there...or something.

When you say "analog cable" I assume you mean a BNC. Which of the 3 ports on the kona card should it be attached to, and where should it run to from there. And what settings on the Control Panel should I activate to send an analog signal via this method.

This sounds promising.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Jan 16, 2009 at 8:15:05 pm

This is detailed in the LHe manual. I actually downloaded the manual for the LHe & looked this up to double check. I recommend that you do the same.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

James Reid
on Jan 16, 2009 at 11:28:43 pm

From the manual:

The KL-box attaches to the KONA LHe card via cables that attach to the back of the
KL-box. These cables are supplied with the KL-Box (one 60-pin to 60-pin, and one 3-
BNC to 3-BNC). When you purchase the optional KL-Box, you get two-channel
unbalanced audio output (2 RCA Jacks)—not available with the standard cable.

Return to posts index

Andrew Lang
on Jan 16, 2009 at 11:40:35 pm

Yeah, that's how I have it hooked up. Is there a different way to do "analog"?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 18, 2009 at 1:27:22 am

Andrew -
just shut up, and just listen to me.

You write -
"I'm trying to hook up my MacPro with a Kona LHe card, through a Kona KL box, to a set-top DVD recorder and then to a broadcast monitor, playing out of FCP 6.0.4. "

REPLY -
step 1. Take DVD recorder Video Output or "Y" (green) output and plug it into your TV monitor (I assume it's a cheap composite TV monitor). do you see a picture - yes or no. If yes, go to step 2. If no, your TV does not work.

step 2. Forget the AJA KL box. Take the breakout cable AJA gave you with the Kona LHe, and take the Y output and plug this into your TV Video input. Close FCP. Open the AJA Control Panel. Click on the Control Tab. Select COLOR BARS. On the FORMAT tab in the AJA control panel, make sure that 525 NTSC is selected for both primary and secondary. On the ANALOG tab, make sure that you select COMPOSITE, and not Component. Do you see color bars on your TV monitor - YES OR NO ? If you dont' see color bars, don't go any further, find out why you dont' see color bars on your TV. If you do see color bars on your TV, go to step 3.

step 3. Put the DVD video out or DVD Out Y (green) into the input of the Kona LHe card (not thru the KL box - forget this for now).
Play a DVD that you know has something on it (not your masterpiece home made DVD, but a movie that is over 1 hour long). You will need a BNC to RCA adaptor to do this - do you have one ? Now, go back to the AJA Control Panel, on the CONTROL tab. You have it set to TEST PATTERN COLOR BARS right now (because you are seeing color bars on your TV monitor - right ? ). Change that to INPUT PASSTHROUGH. Go to the INPUT TAB of your AJA Control Panel, and select ANALOG COMPOSITE (not SDI). Do you see a picture on your TV that is now your DVD player ? Because you should !

If you do see a picture, it means that your Kona LHe card is working. Put the CONTROL TAB back to TEST PATTERN (not input passthrough), and launch FCP. Select an EASY SETUP in FCP that involves the AJA Kona card (not a generic Apple FCP setup like
DV/NTSC 48k). Go to log and capture, and you should see your picture.

If all of this works, NOW you can go back and plug in your AJA KL Box. You are not using the SDI input/outputs for your DVD player, or your composite video TV. Until you tell me what your "broadcast monitor" is, I dont know if it even has an SDI input, so the SDI cables might mean absolutely nothing.

Let me know !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]