FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gen10 Sync for 720 cross conversion to 1080i

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Sanchez
Gen10 Sync for 720 cross conversion to 1080i
on Jan 8, 2009 at 10:07:06 pm

My Gen10 is coming soon in the mail, but in reading over the manual on AJA's website I run into one issue. I'll describe our workflow first. Our program is finished at 720p 59.94 and we use our Kona 3 to crossconvert to 1080i to our AJ-HD3700 deck. After reading the manual for the Gen10, it seems like I can only set the HD format to 720p or 1080i but not have Outputs 1 - 4 at 720p and 5 - 6 at 1080i. If I'm wrong in thinking that I should feed the Kona 3 Ref in 720p and then 1080i ref let me know, maybe I just need to feed both 1080, but in any event, your advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
Re: Gen10 Sync for 720 cross conversion to 1080i
on Jan 9, 2009 at 5:07:58 am

1080 for both. you could probably do it without the gen10 even.
tri-sync is more critical with 23.98

"HE'S SUCH A GIRL" HD feature film
grade and finish @ post + beam
http://www.hessuchagirl.com
http://www.postandbeam.tv

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 9, 2009 at 1:50:13 pm

Paul is correct. You can even leave the GEN10 or your existing black gen on NTSC 525. You are not doing a frame rate conversion - you are converting 720p59.94 to 1080i at a standard frame rate. You don't need tri level sync to make this happen.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jan 9, 2009 at 5:57:27 pm

Thanks guys! I thought I was making it more complicated than it actually was.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 10, 2009 at 12:54:45 am

is that you with the upright bass ? Because if it is, this is the coolest picture on the Creative Cow !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jan 10, 2009 at 5:27:01 am

Thanks Bob! Yeah, that is me with the upright bass. Shane in the in Final Cut forum commented on it also. In between editing, I like to pretend I'm in the Stray Cats circa 1983.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 10, 2009 at 1:03:16 pm

Honestly, I still use my little Horita BSG-50 (SD only) when using the kona for everything. Still need to get me a Gen 10 in here one of these days.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Gen10 Sync - more on GEN10
on Jan 10, 2009 at 3:57:56 pm

the problem with the "instant" change over to the GEN10 (instead of your Horita) is patching. Right now, you have your Horita going to a black DA, which feeds all your VTR reference inputs (like your Beta VTR). If you pop in a GEN10, and say
"hey, I'm doing 720p 59.94, let me switch over to tri level sync for my Kona 3 and AJ-HD1200", then you feed tri level sync to ALL of your other equipment that is expecting to see NTSC black. The Gen10 can certainly be switched to have "multiple outputs", but the correct way to do this, is no different than what Evertz intended with the 7750 tri level sync card at the beginning.

In real life in a real facility like yours, the GEN10 needs to go to TWO DA's (and yes, I have been pestering AJA about this, ad nauseum). One DA would be for NTSC black, and one DA would be for tri level sync (just like the Evertz). This way, the GEN10 could be set for both black and tri level sync output at the same time, and the DA's would distribute thruout your facility. You bring up your
Ref Video inputs to a patch bay (the critical ones, like AJA Kona 3 Reference Input, and AJ-HD1200 or 1400 Reference Input), and patch as you need it. VTR's like the Beta VTR woudl not need to be on the bay, as they would always get NTSC sync.

Aaah - the growing pains of a facility as you start to get bigger !

The GEN10 is an amazing product, but it's time for it to "grow" to the next level - which could be as simple as a card for an AJA FS-1 frame (which could house 2 AJA analog video DA cards that don't exist yet - hint hint). This is how AJA will push Evertz out of the picture with the 7750.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]