FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Sync Issues

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt johnson
Video Sync Issues
on Jan 7, 2009 at 10:40:32 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm having trouble with edit to tape in FCP, and we've narrowed the problem down to the AJA card (or a stupid user: ).

The audio plays fine through in everything, but the video lags out on our HD monitor and in the deck when we try to edit to tape.

I've searched every possible similar problem I can find on the forums, and nothing has solved it. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the different versions of the AJA firmware (6.01 and 6.02), tried different formats, and tried everything else I can think of. I even checked, double checked, and triple checked to make sure that i'm running audio through the AJA, and I am (along with matching formats correctly all around).

At this point in time, every possible format we have in our office isn't working with final cut. We are able to use Autodesk Smoke, and it can send out in sync.

I'm using two identical Power Macs Version 10.5.4 2x3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM ram. We keep our footage on a 4TB SAN, but after the initial problem, i tried taking the footage onto one of the mac's internal drives, but the problem hasn't gone away.

I hadn't adjusted any settings when the problem occurred. I only use one mac for 99% of the editing (the other is for capturing/rendering, and it had been more or less idle except for capturing a tape or two this week.) So both macs get the same problem at the same time, one while editing to tape, the other while sitting around doing nothing.

Sorry this post is so scatterbrained. I've been doing everything besides posting i can, and now my brain is fried.

Thanks!

matt

Return to posts index

matt johnson
Re: Video Sync Issues
on Jan 7, 2009 at 10:43:07 pm

I should add:

Both use Kona LHe cards, and one has had it's card for 3 weeks, and the other for more than 3 months (that's how long i've been here, not sure how much longer).

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 8, 2009 at 2:03:30 am

dare I ask - are you genlocking both your VTR and Kona LHe to the same black generator ? It your AJA Control Panel set to ext ref in the control tab ?

bobZelin

Return to posts index

matt johnson
on Jan 8, 2009 at 2:37:41 pm

Yes.

Talking to my boss, the only thing we can think of that's changed is we played around with sharing screens between the two macs. Would that have done anything?

Return to posts index

matt johnson
on Jan 8, 2009 at 4:35:26 pm

Problem solved... I guess

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/872424#872424

If you have any idea about why it would suddenly happen with no updates or anything, I'd love to hear it. We're starting to look very seriously at freezing the machines once all the kinks are worked out so we don't have to worry about things like this happening.

Return to posts index

Matt Larson
on Jan 9, 2009 at 5:47:34 pm

[matt johnson] "We're starting to look very seriously at freezing the machines once all the kinks are worked out"

That's a good plan. I have a cheap Firewire drive that I use to keep a working clone of my system on. Once I have a well working system, I plug in the drive and clone it. Unplug the drive and put it in a drawer. Then if I need to do an update or something in the system goes haywire I know I am only 45 minutes away from a properly working system if I need it.

Has saved me a couple times

2 x3Ghz Quad MacPro
9 GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.5.5
QT 7.5.5
FCP 6.0.5
AJA Kona 3 (6.0.1 drivers)
G-Speed XL 12 RAID

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Jan 13, 2009 at 5:35:21 pm

Just a shot in the dark but is the Kona in the recommended slot per the setup instructions?

jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]