FORUMS: list search recent posts

Got My First Kona...Please Help to setup...No Signal...

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriele Turchi
Got My First Kona...Please Help to setup...No Signal...
on Dec 25, 2008 at 12:53:26 am

Hi Guys,i Got my First Aja Kona (LHe)...but i can't have any signail...

I have a Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.66 running Leopard 10.5.6
I have connected the Kona in a 4x PCIe slot , installed the 6.02 Driver,but actually i have no signal (well sometimes i have kind of distorted image..)

I am Connecting the Kona by SDI Using the HDLINK Pro that convert the SDI to HDMI and than i am going to my Panasonic 42 1080P Plasma

First Question:
Without Final Cut Pro , just using the Kona Control Panel...I should have the test pattern image right ?(if selected...)I have tried to select any kind of standard output signal but i got only a very distorted image (unusable) only at 1080/24p ...

Than i have tried to setup a ProRes 1080 23.98 project using the easy setup of FCP , i have loaded a 1080 ProRes 23.98 clip...Activated playback all frames ... Nothing...

PSS:i have noticed in the system info that the kone is displayed under pci card in 3 different name (2 times :PCI to PCI bridge"and 1 one time pcif1d0,c0fe...and never with the Kona Name...)is that OK?
Any Idea?

Thanks

G

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Got My First Kona...Please Help to setup...No Signal...
on Dec 25, 2008 at 1:58:59 am

I will answer your questions below, but I bet you plugged in the card, and just saw what happens - I bet you didnt' read any manuals -

you write -
I have a Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.66 running Leopard 10.5.6
I have connected the Kona in a 4x PCIe slot , installed the 6.02 Driver,but actually i have no signal (well sometimes i have kind of distorted image..)

REPLY - did you download the driver for the AJA Kona LHe from the http://www.aja.com website ? Don't use the CD that came with your Kona LHe. Download V6.0.2.

you write -
I am Connecting the Kona by SDI Using the HDLINK Pro that convert the SDI to HDMI and than i am going to my Panasonic 42 1080P Plasma

REPLY - get rid of the HDLink Pro. Take your Y Pb Pr analog component output cables, and plug them into the back of your Panasonic 42" Plasma monitor. If you have a consumer Panasonic Plasma that has RCA jacks, get some BNC-RCA adaptors from Radio Shack, and plug it in this way. DO NOT USE the HDLink Pro until you get this working. Then you can try the HDLink Pro, and deal with it's issues.

you write -
Without Final Cut Pro , just using the Kona Control Panel...I should have the test pattern image right ?(if selected...)I have tried to select any kind of standard output signal but i got only a very distorted image (unusable) only at 1080/24p ...

REPLY - close FCP. Open the Kona Control Panel. Select under FORMAT the setting of 525 (not hi def 1080i or 720p). Go to the CONTROL tab, and select TEST PATTERN - COLOR BARS. Do you see a picture. Don't proceed until you see a picture. If you do see a picture, then you can change the format tab to 1080i, and see if the monitor switches to hi def. IF THIS WORKS, ONLY THEN you can plug in your Blackmagic HDLink Pro, to see if this HDMI converter works for you.

you write -
Than i have tried to setup a ProRes 1080 23.98 project using the easy setup of FCP , i have loaded a 1080 ProRes 23.98 clip...Activated playback all frames ... Nothing...

REPLY - stop it with the 23.98 stuff. If you have a consumer monitor, it will not show 23.98. Try a nice boring COLOR BAR TEST PATTERN from the AJA control panel at 525. If this works, then try HD 1080i from the Control Panel (color bars). IF this works, THEN launch FCP, and try a 525 project only, and bring up color bars in FCP. IF THIS WORKS, then go to EASY SETUP in FCP, and select a AJA Kona 1080i 29.97 ProRes422HQ project (for example), and bring up COLOR BARS, and see if you get a signal.

FORGET YOUR PROJECT, forget your media, forget your job. Just see if your damn system works, and unplug that damn Blackmagic converter for now, until you are SURE you have a working system.

Then, digitize in some NORMAL standard def 29.97 footage, and if that works, then digitize in some normal 1080i 29.97 footage. AND ONLY IF THAT WORKS, then select a 23.98 preset, and try it. If it doesn't work at 23.98, then your monitor can't display a 24p signal, and you will have to go to the Audio/Video settings and force the Playback output to 29.97 to do the pulldown for you.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Dec 25, 2008 at 2:06:19 am

Thanks Bob,

You are right , i should start with a very easy and basic franerate etc...
I think is the plasma...
In the next days i'll try to buy the adapters ho connect it in component

Thank You very very much, especially To have answered in a so Particular and Busy Day...
Merry Christams

Thank You

G

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 25, 2008 at 2:18:48 am

Gabriele -
I am always here to help you for free.

Merry Christmas

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Dec 25, 2008 at 3:56:47 am

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Dec 27, 2008 at 6:21:31 pm

Thanks again Bob,

i have connected the Plasma using the component and everything works great!... Basically i think the problem was the HDMI connection of the Plasma that accept only HDCP signal..

Thanks

G

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]