FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is AJA ?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Binny Singh
What is AJA ?
on Dec 23, 2008 at 2:28:15 am

From a layman's point of view, what is AJA Kona 3 or IO HD ?

I got to use an AJA box once... I could'nt figure out what it was... all i knew was that it was a kind of interface between my mac pro and the beta decks... It ( aja box ) had the options of connecting through component, s-video and a few other possible mediums.

Is it safe to say that AJA is an external capture card that capture video uncompressed and thus produces a better quality?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: What is AJA ?
on Dec 23, 2008 at 9:15:10 am

[Binny Singh] "Is it safe to say that AJA is an external capture card that capture video uncompressed and thus produces a better quality?"

Yes.

You know...all you have to do is go to aja.com and read all about it.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 23, 2008 at 11:24:35 am

[Binny Singh] "Is it safe to say that AJA is an external capture card that capture video uncompressed and thus produces a better quality?"

Not really. AJA is a company that produces a multitude of video centric devices from capture cards, external capture boxes, conversion boxes, adapters, etc.... http://www.aja.com has the full listing of product line.

The AJA Kona 3 is an internal video capture card that also features an optional external I/O box to connect all your audio / video sources. The capture card allows you to digitize footage as a much higher quality than straight Firewire. The entire Kona series also allows you to capture pretty much anything to anything. So you can capture DVCAM to 8bit Uncompressed SD or DV50 HD or upconvert it to 720p or 1080i HD. We use the Kona 3 to convert all HDV material to DVCPro HD during ingest. In the case of the Kona 3, you also get SD to HD Upconversion, HD to SD Downconversion, 720 to 1080 Cross Conversion and 1080 to 720 Cross Conversion all in realtime.

The IoHD is pretty much the same thing as the Kona 3, just in an external box. The only limitation is you cannot capture Uncompressed HD to the Io HD.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 23, 2008 at 10:28:01 pm

Walter is correct - AJA is a company, not a generic term. AJA makes video products. They make sync generators, converter boxes, and input and capture cards for different editing and graphics products.

I am sure that you must have heard "oh yea, we will get one of those AJA things to do the job". This is nonsense. Someone must say "we need an AJA Kona board (for example) to capture video from our Beta VTR.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]