FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connectin Kona to Sony FW900 CRT Monitor

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriele Turchi
Connectin Kona to Sony FW900 CRT Monitor
on Dec 21, 2008 at 11:54:15 pm

Hi Guys,
does anyone have experience to Konnect Kona to the FW900 CRT Monitor that have RGBHV and D-SUB connection?

I think the only way to connect it is using a Component to RGB (VGA or RGBHV) transcoder or SDI to RGB Transcoder...

Any thoughts?
Will the quality bee good?

Thanks

G

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Connectin Kona to Sony FW900 CRT Monitor
on Dec 22, 2008 at 4:40:03 pm

boy, that is an old monitor. I think that the AJA Control Panel will switch to RGB out (instead of Y Pb Pr out - check the ANALOG tab in the AJA Control Panel) - but I do not know if the FW900 will accept "sync on green", or requires a H and V sync signal. I bet it does accept "sync on green" which is what the AJA Kona will provide, and you should try it.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Dec 22, 2008 at 5:27:12 pm

Hi Thanks, i didn't know that the Aja could provide RGB too...

Does the this picture from the service manual confirm that accept the sync on Green?

Thanks

G

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 22, 2008 at 6:06:10 pm

this spec shows that it will take sync on green (.3V P-P is the normal sync signal for analog). It takes 2 SECONDS to change the menu in the AJA Control Panel. Why not try it RIGHT NOW, and tell us if it works.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Dec 22, 2008 at 6:08:04 pm

Thanks!

Because i don't have the FW900 yet...!!!
I am thinking to buy it..It should still be the best Color Monitor...

G

Return to posts index

Gary Morris McBeath
on Dec 22, 2008 at 6:55:31 pm

I think I can help here: I use the GWFM900 monitor in my edit suite; I feed the FCP computer interface through the D-sub connection, but the monitor has a selector switch to select a second input, which is the component hookup you talk about.

You are correct, it will not accept a normal component hookup. You have to feed the SDI or HD-SDI input to a converter box (I use an AJA HD10C), and then they had a special output cable and adaptor that sends the correct signal to the monitor. I'm sure someone at AJA can help you out here; they solved this problem for me at NAB, 2002 I think it was.

There are 5 BNC connectors on the back of the monitor, and this cable has the normal RBG feeds, plus a grey and black hookup as well; please forgive me, I don't remember what they do (it was several years ago), but some kind of sync the monitor needs.

Please be advised, you will need two World Wrestling fellas to lift this thing; it displays the full raster 1080i/1920 in progressive frame; beatiful for checking focus, but that's about all.

The color, even when I've calibrated it, is not accurate, and drifts during the day. It has to warm up at least an hour before it is even remotely close. I use a 14" Sony multi-format HD monitor to check color, contrast etc. What I do is start a clip playing, switch the monitor input, and check focus while checking the color, exposure, contrast etc on the multi-format monitor.

I don't think this is a good choice for location work, but good luck if you have to use it. Better to rent some kind of more conventional monitor in my opinion. Not necessarily humble opinion. heh heh.

Happy holidays to all,

Gary

Gary Morris McBeath
SaltAire Cinema Productions

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Dec 22, 2008 at 7:03:51 pm

Thanks Gary,

Actually it seems that the Kona can output RGB from the Component , so i think it will ok just connect the RGB BNC (without HV)

For Color Reference i heard from many many many people that is the Very Best ,because it's a CRT is possible that during the way lose performance...i know that and it is true about the warm up time etc...

I have a Cornerstone 21 4/3 CT which use a trinitron tube (even if is not the same) and i have to say that the quality of the Image is much better than my Eizo LCD CG211 (2500 USD...)

PS:i am going to use it in my studio ,off course is not usable in Location!!!!

G

Return to posts index

Gary Morris McBeath
on Dec 22, 2008 at 7:24:40 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood about the location work.

I did originally try just the RGB, and it would not work without the HV sync you refer to, the gray and black wires. (thanks for jogging my memory).

But, give it a try. Maybe your model is slightly different.

Good luck,

Gary

Gary Morris McBeath

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Dec 22, 2008 at 8:28:21 pm

Hi Gary

How did you tried?
Switching the component output to RGB (nstead of component)from the Kona control pane and connecting the 3 RGB BNC ?...Maybe because of the Sync on Green it require to connect the D-Sub port (which means that need the BNC--->D-Sub cable..)

G

Return to posts index

Gary Morris McBeath
on Dec 22, 2008 at 11:49:57 pm

Hi Gabriele,

I don't remember if I used just component, or RGB from my Kona 2. Too many years ago.

The D-sub is my input from the computer monitor output. So, two separate inputs: component from the AJA converter to view HD-SDI output, and the D-sub for the computer desktop, program interfaces etc. One input shouldn't have any effect on the other.

Good luck.

G

Gary Morris McBeath

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]