FORUMS: list search recent posts

KonaLHe set up for BetaSP input not working

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Forschmidt
KonaLHe set up for BetaSP input not working
on Dec 21, 2008 at 12:08:05 am

Just setting up a brand new KonaLHe in my system. New Quad 8 core 2.8ghz CPU. Using Kona to output a HD-SDI signal to monitor. That works fine. Everything is playing fine through the Kona as far as sequences. The last thing to set up was to input from my Sony BetaSP 1800 and can't seem to get it to see it. I have Component cables for in and out of board. Using Kona's breakout box. And have the RS-422 cable connected. Went to the KONA control panel and set up analog input from Beta. When I go into capture it doesn't see it, NO COMMUNICATION. I have changed Easy Set-up to Kona 8 bit compressed, as well as a few others too.

Nothing seems to work. As a note, when I go to capture, there is no communication and the screen starts flashing Red, then green, then blue.

Is there something simple I have overlooked? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Don Forschmidt

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: KonaLHe set up for BetaSP input not working
on Dec 21, 2008 at 2:43:15 am

[Don Forschmidt] "The last thing to set up was to input from my Sony BetaSP 1800 and can't seem to get it to see it. I have Component cables for in and out of board. Using Kona's breakout box. And have the RS-422 cable connected."

are you sure the deck uses RS422?

My BetaSP deck had RS232 and I needed a Keyspan USB adaptor to get deck control

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Don Forschmidt
on Dec 21, 2008 at 3:05:46 am

Gary,
It's a RS422 port. I had an AJA I/O LA and it drove the deck fine with the same RS422 connector. And even if there was a problem there, I tried disconnecting that RS422 port and go into local just to see if the signal is going through. It still didn't get a signal.
Don

FCP 6
8 CORE 2.8GB
AJA KonaLHe
BetaSP 1800
DSR 11
AJ SD93
G-Tech eSPEED (4TB)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 21, 2008 at 6:06:07 pm

close FCP.
Open AJA Control Panel.
Hookup analog "Y" Output of Kona KL box to TV.
Switch ANALOG tab of Control Panel to COMPOSITE/YC
Switch input tab of Control Panel to ANALOG COMPOSITE
Put Beta 1800 Out 2 (Super) into the "Y" input of the Kona KL box.
Put AJA Control Panel CONTROL tab to INPUT passthru
Hit play on your Beta VTR
Do you see a picture on your TV ?
If you do not, bypass the AJA Kona KL box, and do same test with breakout cable that came with the Kona LHe card.

If you DO see a picture, do this -
Switch AJA Control Panel to COMPONENT.
Switch ANALOG tab to COMPONENT.
Play the tape - do you see a B+W Picture ?
If you do, now hookup the R-Y and B-Y signals to the Pb and Pr inputs of the Kona KL box.
Switch the ANALOG tab to Composite.
Play the tape.
Do you see a picture ?

If you do, you are now passing video thru your Kona LHe board. (and remember, if the cables are bad from the LHe to the KL box, you want to BYPASS the KL box and just use the breakout cable that AJA gave you. This breakout cable also has a built in 9 pin RS422 cable.

OK, now to test deck control (only if you got the video portion of this to work).
Run AJA VTR XChange, which is in the AJA Utilities folder. Try VTR control with your Beta. Does it work ?

If this stuff works, and FCP does not, write back, and I will tell you what to do.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Don Forschmidt
on Dec 21, 2008 at 6:36:51 pm

Bob,
Thanks for the suggestions. I realized when you said that the cable might be bad, that seems the simplest and straightforward explanation since the SDI pass through to my monitor was fine which was from seperate cables. And another little odd thing is that I wasn't getting any audio out of the RCA outs of the breakout box which was no big deal since I looped it through my monitor.

The answer was staring right at me. The Box and/or Cable are bad. I took out the harness that came with it and Voila, Deck control was fine, and in and out works fine to Beta. Thanks for the trouble shooting.

Don

FCP 6
8 CORE 2.8GB
AJA KonaLHe
BetaSP 1800
DSR 11
AJ SD93
G-Tech eSPEED (4TB)

Return to posts index

Eron Otcasek
on Jan 13, 2010 at 7:02:27 am

Hi I was wondering if I could get you opinion

Both in FCP and in the AJA VTR Xchange Application I have no deck control thru the RS-422 cable that runs out of my AJA card (In final cut pro it says No communication) in the AJA VTR Xchange Application it says: "make sure you are connected to the serial port." I am sure all my cables are tight. This is the first time I have used this Aja card(cable) cause I've just set up a new FCP station. 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel and I have installed the G-Tech 4-Port, PCIe x4 RAID Controller into slot 4....Aja LHi card in slot 2

on the back of the Sony j30SDI Digibeta I have plugged the rs-422 into the only place it fits! the REMOTE IN (9P) connector (RS-422A serial interface, 9-pin)

if you have any thoughts please let me know!
thank you

Return to posts index

Eron Otcasek
on Jan 13, 2010 at 4:51:58 pm

Problem solved!!!!!! The Aja breakout cables can fit into the back of the mac upsidown, but the Aja logo should be on top!!!! Hope this will help someone else!

Return to posts index

Luis Sepulveda
on Aug 24, 2010 at 9:28:47 pm

YES! This helped me! Thanks a lot!

SnowLeopard 10.6.3
2x3GHzQuad-Core Intel Xeon
8GB Memory
Two 24" Cinema Displays
Two 1TB/One 500GB GRaid
FCP 6.0.6
AJ-SD93