FORUMS: list search recent posts

HPX footage mistakenly shot 24p not 24pa...

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dave garcia
HPX footage mistakenly shot 24p not 24pa...
on Dec 15, 2008 at 5:49:18 pm

Hi,

I posted about a week ago about a problem I'm having with HPX 2000 footage. I'm still having a problem.

Once again. The footage was shot in 24p over a 1080i 59.94 shooting mode. I'm trying to get the footage to cut on a 23.98 timeline as progressive frames.

I'm used to just checking the "remove advanced pulldown" and importing this stuff, but that is not working here. I'm assuming it is because the camera guys messed up and shot at 24p instead of 24pa.

So... How do I get around this. I tried opening the stuff up in cinema tools to perform a reverse telecine, but the rev. telecine button is greyed out. Someone recomended using compressor's reverse telecine function, but that had no effect on the footage.

If I could just manually tell cinema tools what to do, I feel like I could pull out the footage, as I can clearly see the pulldown cadence in the interlacing, but cinema tools doesn't want to play.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much

Dave

David Garcia
creative director
halflife* digital
Albuquerque, NM
halflifedigital.com

Return to posts index

David Keslick
Re: HPX footage mistakenly shot 24p not 24pa...
on Dec 15, 2008 at 6:27:53 pm

The pulldown on 24p should be a 2:3 pulldown. You may want to check out DVFilm Raylight MXFX. It will remove the pulldown and has options for re-sizing and noise reduction. There is a free demo.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 15, 2008 at 7:26:08 pm

[dave garcia] "Someone recomended using compressor's reverse telecine function, but that had no effect on the footage.
"

That was probably me. If it had no effect, you probably didn't set it up correctly. How'd you set it up?

Also, not sure if Raylight will remove normal 3:2 pulldown...or will it?

Never mind, you linked to MXFX.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

dave garcia
on Dec 17, 2008 at 6:18:47 pm

Thanks guys. The Raylight seems to do the trick. I'm not thrilled about shelling out the dough though.

I probably did have the compressor settings wrong as I'm not quite sure what the process is in compressor. I don't want to re-compress just remove pulldown. I have to admit I've always found compressor and quicktime in general a bit of a bag of black magic.

How do I set the video to "passthrough" and just re-interpret pulldown pattern?

I tried setting to DVCPROHD 1080i60 as an aoutput format then uncompressed but like I said I don't want to recompress anything...

David Garcia
creative director
halflife* digital
Albuquerque, NM
halflifedigital.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 17, 2008 at 6:29:17 pm

[dave garcia] "How do I set the video to "passthrough" and just re-interpret pulldown pattern? "

You can't as you are not passing it through or reinterpreting. This is how you do it in Compressor:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/995940

Your other option is to get a filter that will remove it for you on the timeline, but that will be a render/recompresson of sorts anyway. Might as well remove it and have 23.976 media.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]