FORUMS: list search recent posts

Surround sound setup with Kona 3 and FCP

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Betong
Surround sound setup with Kona 3 and FCP
on Dec 10, 2008 at 10:42:58 am

Hi there

We are currently setting up a Cinema for our Online approvals in our small post house here in Norway. Now we only have stereo, but we want to have a surround sound setup.

We use Final Cut studio, with a Aja Kona 3 for playing back.

I´m currently looking into different reference monitor setups, but I am unsure on how to playback surround sound with FCP and Kona 3, and if it is flawless.

I read somewhere here on the cow that 5.1 surround in Final Cut is not supported (as said by Gary Addock http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/98/869264) but you can "fake it"

The Kona 3 has 8 outputs through digital XLR? So i guess there is a way?

Has anyone any thoughts or experience with this setup and surround sound? Any help is highly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Surround sound setup with Kona 3 and FCP
on Dec 10, 2008 at 1:36:49 pm

this is not a great answer, but as with many products with multiple outputs (like 8 channel audio mixers), you can sent 6 of the outputs (for 5.1) to a monitoring system, so you can control all 6 channels. If this is a low end analog monitoring system, you will need to get AES-Analog converters. Or a digital mixer (like a small Yamaha or Behringer). Not ideal. AJA, Blackmagic, AVID, Matrox and MOTU editing interfaces are not ideally setup for 5.1 and 7.1 surround monitoring, but it can be done. If you had a single ProTools 192HD interface, you would be doing something similar, by just having 8 discreet outputs - and you are on your own for monitoring.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]