KONA 3 big issue

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thibault carterot
KONA 3 big issue
on Dec 8, 2008 at 9:53:33 am

Hello,
I ve just received a kona 3 and I have a lot of troubles :

I tried it on 3 different mac pro. I reinstalled from scratch one of them. I tried 3 different firmwares (5, 6, 6.01).
I followed aja slot placement in each mac.
Everytime the same problem : in HD, SD, trough all the ports :

I have green or blue flashes (depending on the mac) when I try to playback or capture any video.
In the Aja panel control, the test pattern is not working right. It shows the bars at start correctly, but when I try to change anything, the screen goes green (with pixels)
Moreover, the sound is hissing loud all the time....
I test it with or without the rack...

Can anyone help me ?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: KONA 3 big issue
on Dec 8, 2008 at 1:48:14 pm

Call AJA Tech support immediately. Either you have the card installed in the wrong slot or you have a bad board. AJA will troubleshoot much faster on the phone than we can here on the Cow and if it is a bad board, they'll overnight a new one to you.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 8, 2008 at 4:46:52 pm

in the AJA Utilities folder, run the UNinstaller. Reboot your computer. Run only the 6.0.1 AJA kona 3 driver. Forget FCP for now. Open the AJA Control Panel. Put up test pattern (color bars).
I don't know if you have an HD montior or SD monitor (what is your monitor). Do you see color bars ? Change to the RAMP pattern - do you get lots of green dots, or are you ok ?

You have not stated if you have the K3 box (yet you say the sound is hissing all the time - how are you monitoring sound - thru the K3 box, or the AES output of the Kona 3 - do you own a digital mixer ?)

If you have the K3 box, BYPASS the K3 box. Use the breakout cables that came with the Kona 3 and NOT the K3 box. Try the control panel test I described above without the K3 box.

When you write back, please tell me if you have the K3 box, exactly how you are monitoring your audio, and what TV monitor do you have to see your picture.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

thibault carterot
on Dec 8, 2008 at 5:58:28 pm

Thank you for your quick answers.

I tried of course everything you said. I've an editing company with a few rooms, using BlackMagic cards or avid system and I love getting my hands dirty ! (I'm sure you know what I mean).

So I tried uninstall drivers, put old ones back, installed a new 10.5 sys without final Cut, without the box...
I tried directly connected on a 20 SDI monitor, 24 HD SDI monitor, through HD SDI output, YUV output etc...

Same problem.

And moreover, the strange thing appears in capture in Final Cut : so, not an output issue !

When I reboot the system, Color bars appear fine. But when I change anything in the setting (Ramp or anything, bing ! : green pixelatted howfull screen...)

It's not really green dots (like a bad HDMI connection) it's more a green screen with noise texture (I can take a picture if it's help)

The only thing that works is when I capture, the output on TV is correct (not the one captured )
I really believe now the card has a problem. Why ? I don't know. It was used perfectly for a few months in UK. I tried to use it in France .... But I don't think the card does politics :-)

Anyway, Aja contacted me very quickly, I think we ll change the card.
I was just wondering if it was a known issue or if I ve got a bad luck !

Thibault

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 8, 2008 at 6:18:47 pm

[thibault carterot] "I really believe now the card has a problem. Why ? I don't know. It was used perfectly for a few months in UK. I tried to use it in France .... But I don't think the card does politics"

No but you could have shorted the card out moving it from machine to machine.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

thibault carterot
on Dec 8, 2008 at 6:30:09 pm

"No but you could have shorted the card out moving it from machine to machine. "

You may be right, since,
it was moved very carefully from one to another : transported in a well packed box...

There is not any visible physical damage and all the pins seems ok...

I have moved dozen of Blackmagic card without problem...

And the card is not broken, I ve got a signal, just interrupted by flashes...

Maybe the change in the current made it losses its faculty ?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 8, 2008 at 7:15:36 pm

you never answered me if you have a K3 box or not.
If you have a K3 box you MUST bypass the K3 box and do the same tests.

If you do NOT have a K3 box, and you have these problems, you have a bad card. AJA will be MORE than happy to replace your defective card, even if you have blown it out due to a static electricity problem.

If you DO have a K3 box, this is a major cause of confusion and issues (especially the cables) - so you MUST bypass this.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

thibault carterot
on Dec 8, 2008 at 7:19:08 pm

Bob,

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
I have a box but of course I tried to bypass it !

I don't know if the box work but there is no reason it should not !

Return to posts index

thibault carterot
on Dec 8, 2008 at 7:17:11 pm

Aja support is sending a replacement card.

I must say the guys at AJA are quick !

I'll remember when I buy new cards...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 8, 2008 at 8:19:18 pm

if you bypassed the K3, it's your card - you have a bad card.
End of story.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]