FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA 6.0.1 issue

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Vogel
AJA 6.0.1 issue
on Dec 3, 2008 at 9:24:09 pm

Hi all,

I have been battling a new issue since I upgraded to this latest control panel and driver build. Never saw this problem until the upgrade.

Running a dual 2.7GHz G5 with the latest OSX and FCP builds, outputting to UVW-1800 Betadeck.

I have a long form show with commercial inserts. The show itself has sequence settings of Apple ProRes 422. The commercials are all separate sequences at Uncompressed 10-bit. I have the spot sequences nested in the Long form time line. This has never been a problem in the past. I upgraded from AJA 4.x.x (don't recall the exact build), but I knew I had to do the upgrade.

The problem: PRINT TO VIDEO, the deck or the Kona Card or FCP or a combination of them all, does not like the nested sequence settings. But when outputting to tape halfway through the second spot, the print would abort with a message saying the drive(s) aren't fast enough. I only have FCP running, and only the one sequence open. The drive is an Seagate eSATA Baracuda 7200 RPM 1.5TB drive. It's wicked fast and reliable, so far.

The solution: I removed a couple of the spot sequences and replaced them with the working clips and graphics, then on the rest of the 10 spot sequences, I changed the spot sequence settings to Apple ProRes 422, re-rendered them all.

It went through the entire program without any aborts.

Case closed?

Anyone else been having these issues?

--Tim

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: AJA 6.0.1 issue
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:40:06 pm

only smart ass answers for you (but serious)

ProRes422 and ProRes422HQ need to run on Intel based MAC Pros, not PowerMac G5's (you have a dual 2.7).

A single SATA drive is not "wicked fast". How you are doing entire shows with a single SATA drive, and no dropped frame errors is beyond me.

You are a lucky guy.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tim Vogel
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:46:19 pm

Hey Bob,

I should restate the "wicked fast", it's faster than the firewire drives. But I am having issues with FCP in general since the new AJA upgrade.

It has been crashing a lot, especially on Quitting.

I have been averaging 2 hours total rendering time to a 30-minute long form. Been doing two every month since July. Plus the spots.

Now tonight the program is dragging ass big time. Two hours to render 5 minutes. I know it's not the drive. Something has changed with the AJA update. I am in the process of trashing FCP preferences, repair disk permissions and restarting to see if that will help.

The first show went to top flawlessly after I made the previous changes.

On the second of two long forms I am working on I have the same setup with the same spots. I have the commercial sequences nested in the main program.

The PRINT TO VIDEO puked halfway into the second spot.

I replaced the first two spots with the actual clips from the spot timeline. Tried to PRINT TO VIDEO again. Made it past the two spots. Puke on the next set of spots. Always halfway through the second of two spots.

So I have re-inserted the spot sequences into the timeline and rendered. Then PRINT TO VIDEO.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:50:35 pm

what you will find is what everyone finds. You have perfectly working equipment, and "new stuff" comes out, and all of a sudden, your perfectly working, perfectly good computer/drives/vtrs/monitors are no longer good enough.

"But everything was fine until last month" -you say.

Just wait until Mac World in January. Your dual 2.7 won't be able to update to OS-X 10.6, any FCP upgrade, any new plug in. Everyone will suffer - this is the way the Apple world is.

Buy new computer, buy new drives, buy faster drives, 1 1/2 years later, everything is obsolete.

Welcome to the video business.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tim Vogel
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:53:14 pm

It's the nature of the beast, I know. I have been blessed with this box since May of '05. It's been a real work horse with ZERO problems, UNTIL tonight.

I have a TV series coming up the end of the 1st Quarter with a new box configured and ready to go for it.

Return to posts index

Tim Vogel
on Dec 4, 2008 at 12:14:54 am

I should probably move this topic to FCP.

I just got done rebooting after trashing preferences and render time went from 2 to 1 hour.

I just completed editing a short film last week that was shot 16mm and loaded in here at 422 (HQ) in HD. It was a champ to work on. Hardly had to do any rendering, and IT was FAST! The only time I had to really wait for rendering was subtitles on foreign language parts and titles. They didn't take more than 20-30 minutes. What I am getting tonight is like pulling teeth.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 4, 2008 at 7:01:25 am

HD or SD?

Return to posts index

Tim Vogel
on Dec 4, 2008 at 1:45:04 pm

The movie I just completed is HD, but all the long form is SD.

"Adapt and Overcome"

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: AJA 6.0.1 issue- I know you think I am lying
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:47:34 pm

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24757?viewlocale=en_US

Final Cut Pro 6.0.1: HD ProRes 422 capture requires Mac Pro or Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz
Last Modified: June 29, 2007
Article: TA24757
Old Article: 305582

Products Affected
Final Cut Pro 6.0, Final Cut Studio 2

Capturing HD resolution video using the ProRes 422 format requires a Mac Pro with Intel Xeon processors or a Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz, and a qualified third-party capture card.

Other Mac systems may drop frames when capturing High Definition video in the ProRes 422 format.

For more information about Apple ProRes 422 and devices qualified for use with Final Cut Studio 2, see the following resources:

Return to posts index

Tim Vogel
on Dec 3, 2008 at 11:51:30 pm

That's wild. That's the first I heard of that one.

I NEVER thought you were lying Bob. Not for a second. Seriously.

I have always used it in AJA 4.X and it has worked liked a charm. I have been pounding away at this machine for quite a few months.

I never had a dropped frame.

Return to posts index

Tim Vogel
on Dec 4, 2008 at 12:00:05 am

Bob,

Here's a question. When I worked at a facility that had a Quad Core box we had similar Rendering issues crop up. We found that once the FCP project file got over a certain size it would start causing problems. Crashing on a regular basis.

Once we did some media management and started a new file, the problems went away. This file I am working on has grown in the past two days from 110MB to 148MB.

Return to posts index

McKee Smith
on Dec 4, 2008 at 5:06:21 pm

I'm actually having a very similar problem. However I'm using a MacPro with the Dual/Dual processors. I just upgraded to a Kona 3 from a Blackmagic card.

I'm mostly working in SD and capture everything in ProRez HQ. All of the media is a on Medea SCSI 1.5T array. I at first thought the problem was pasting sequences into sequences, but copying the footage in doesn't fix the dropped frame problem.

I render everything and since everything I do requires M&E tracks, I always do an audio mix down. Just to be extra safe, before rendering the mixdown, I reset the system for just 4 channels of live mixing. I also disable the sharing, close all other programs, close all other sequences. As I type I've had a sequence stop for dropped frames now five times in the first 38 minutes. I also just got a message suggesting turning off the mirror to desktop which I'm going to try next.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

McKee Smith
Senior Editor, HIT Entertainent

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 4, 2008 at 7:26:20 pm

[McKee Smith] "s I type I've had a sequence stop for dropped frames now five times in the first 38 minutes. I also just got a message suggesting turning off the mirror to desktop which I'm going to try next. "

Dropped frames almost always indicate an issue with storage not being fast enought not an issue with the video card.

if you have limited amounts of RAM you should not be using mirror to desktop ever- why do you need to see the footage on your desktop when you are laying to tape- that is what monitors are for, and since the mac display does not ever show the full frame rate -why screw things up.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Tim Vogel
on Dec 4, 2008 at 7:32:05 pm

Hey Gary,

Thanks for the info. Nothing has changed in the storage department. I'm running about 3TB on esata drives. The main drive I am working on now has been a Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB. it's never been slow. Never had this problem with the frames until the AJA update.

That's trick info on the monitor. You can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks for that! Never thought about it.

"Adapt and Overcome"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 5, 2008 at 3:19:53 am

Select all and hit apple-option-r, tim. That will mix down your audio. If that doesn't work, export a self contained movie, reimport that movie, put it in a sequence that matches your clip settings and try to output.

Sounds like you might have media spread out all over the place.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tim Vogel
on Dec 5, 2008 at 12:28:39 pm

Thanks Jeremy. I'll give that a go.

"Adapt and Overcome"

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 5, 2008 at 2:03:50 pm

[Tim Vogel] ". it's never been slow. Never had this problem with the frames until the AJA update. "

I have been traveling so bare with me.
The Kona Cards force FCP to act properly in regards to timecode and frame rates- many first time users have this same issue also.

You made sure that you ran the firmware updater when you updated the driver?

for the Kona Cards it is in the Applications > AJA utilities folder.

If you did not, or are not sure please run the firmware updater again.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Tim Vogel
on Dec 5, 2008 at 2:23:57 pm

Thanks Gary,

I'll give that a run.