FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona HDSDI output goes blue during capture

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Levy
Kona HDSDI output goes blue during capture
on Nov 27, 2008 at 4:02:05 am

Hi,

We're running a Kona on a Mac Pro. When we open the capture window the output from the Kona bluish. Actually the colors seem to be reversed or some such thing. The image on the computer monitors is normal. Captures are normal. Close the capture window and everything goes back to normal.

Not the end of the world but it gets producers confused.

Anyone experience this?
jason

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona HDSDI output goes blue during capture
on Nov 27, 2008 at 3:04:43 pm

I am a little confused, and you will have to specify all your gear (what monitor, monitoring with Y Pb Pr on your monitor or HD-SDI or SDI, what VTR source).

When you capture it looks ok, but if you leave Log and Capture open, and play back a clip, it looks blue ? Close Log and Capture when you are playing back. Am I mis interpreting what you are asking - probably - you are not clear and specific in your question. Perhaps, are you saying that when you capture, your TV monitor looks blue, but when you play it back it's ok ? or is it only when you leave Log and Capture open ?

A little more specifics please.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jason Levy
on Nov 27, 2008 at 4:58:44 pm

HI,

The monitor is a panasonic BT-LH2600 fed via HD SDI from the Kona in a 8 core Mac Pro with 8 gigs of memory running final cut pro. All drivers and OS, etc up to date.

The material captures and plays back fine and normally but when the final cut capture window is open the monitor goes blue. Material captured at that time is normal when played back. THe material looks normal in the capture window on the computer monitor.

So the problem is that when we open the log and capture window in FCP, the HD SDI feed to the monitor goes blue or more precisely the color is just out of phase (if that word still means anything) making all the skin tones go blue and all the other colors go wonky in other ways.

SO it is not affecting normal operation. Just looks weird when we capture.

thanks for taking the time.

jason

Return to posts index

Jason Levy
on Nov 27, 2008 at 5:08:53 pm

The source is an AJ HD 1400...

Return to posts index

Jason Levy
on Nov 27, 2008 at 5:16:41 pm

Sorry for the multiple posts.. just to be totally clear.. The panasonic monitor works normally and fine when the capture window is closed. .. Perhaps I have the sync connected wrong? HMM. I'll check when I get back to the office. Everything should be getting sync from an AJA Gen 10.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 27, 2008 at 6:26:42 pm

please excuse my "thick head" for not understanding everything here.
Are you saying that you open Log and Capture - everything looks blueish, but you finishing capturing, you play back, and it looks fine ?

or are you saying -
you open Log and Capture, you capture, but you play back the clip without closing Log and Capture and the playback looks blueish, until you close Log and Capture.

Which one ?

You should close log and capture after you digitize, and want to play back a clip. But if it looks "blueish" while you are capturing something is wrong.

YES, you should be using some sort of black generator to genlock both the Kona Reference Input, and the AJ-HD1400 VTR Ext Ref Video input. And yes, in the AJA Control Panel, you should be on external reference, and not free run or video input. And VERY IMPORTANT, in the AJA Control Panel, you should not be on INPUT PASSTHROUGH, you should be on Test Pattern or Black (not input passthru while you are using FCP).

If you only have this problem when you play back a captured clip with Log and Capture still open, then you don't have a problem. But if it looks "blueish" while you are capturing, then something is wrong.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jason Levy
on Nov 27, 2008 at 6:35:22 pm

Yes sorry I don't seem to be too literate today.. it's the first one. We open log and capture.. everything looks blueish (but only on the Panasonic, not in Final Cut's log and capture window.) But close the window and play it back (or play anything back) and it looks fine. Thanks for the tips on the other settings. I'll check them when I get back to the office.

Also, it's not a blue tint exactly but some kind of color phase shift as there are also strong reds .. just not on the right parts of the image.

j.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 27, 2008 at 6:29:08 pm

if you are "turning blue" while you are digitizing (in Log and Capture), just for the heck of it, DISCONNECT the input to your AJ-HD1400 (so that there is NOTHING going into the HD-SDI input). This will eliminate any possibility of a feedback issue - no matter where your reference is set on the Kona (even if you don't have a black generator) .

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jason Levy
on Nov 27, 2008 at 6:40:16 pm

Yes.. will try that. Thanks Bob.

Return to posts index

Rod Reding
on Jan 18, 2009 at 10:33:42 pm

We are experiencing the exact same problem. We tried Bob's suggestions with no luck.

Jason...did you resolve this issue? If so,how?

Thanks,
RReding

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Jan 19, 2009 at 6:30:34 pm

No, we never solved the problem and since it doesn't prevent us from getting work done it has drifted to the bottom of the pile as we are too busy trying to deliver shows to solve this little mystery.

It doesn't seem to actually affect the captures at all. Just muddles the monitoring while capturing.

jason

Return to posts index

Luke Thompson
on Feb 4, 2009 at 11:47:53 am

Hi all,

I too have been having this exact same problem for about 4 months. And like you guys because it isn't causing us to stop working it isn't something worth replacing the AJA for. I also have a Panasonic BT-LH2600W but all independant tests to the FCP or Monitor too and from our decks cause no problem. It seems the AJA has just developed a problem with displaying HDSDI when capturing. All the media captured to FCP is fine after, and displays fine on the FCP monitors, just not the Panasonic. We usually flick over to SDI input 2 on the monitor which is being fed from the SDI downconvert on the deck. Image isn't as good obviously but it stop Producers freaking out cos the presenter looks like a Smurff.

If you have any luck solving this one please do let me know

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]