FORUMS: list search recent posts

V4hd

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Griesbauer
V4hd
on Nov 26, 2008 at 8:14:11 pm

Does anyone know about the V4HD? Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: V4hd
on Nov 26, 2008 at 11:45:23 pm

Probably works OK, but won't work with RED 2k or larger... gotta figure a lot of the industry will be working with some sort of digital cinema in the next few years. I'd go for a Kona 3 if you need I/O now and have a tower.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Eric Harnden
on Dec 5, 2008 at 7:21:18 pm

According to V4HD.com

"Red One
"If you are shooting with a Red One camera and editing in Final Cut Pro, you may also have chosen to use ProRes as your digital intermediate format. If so, the V4HD provides an economical solution for multi-format monitoring via ProRes. Just choose the V4HD as your output device and go. You can monitor on any connected HD and SD monitors simultaneously."

So does this translate to just 2K then?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 6, 2008 at 2:52:35 pm

[Eric Harnden] "If you are shooting with a Red One camera and editing in Final Cut Pro, you may also have chosen to use ProRes as your digital intermediate format. ."
So does this translate to just 2K then?"

First off this is the Kona forum- you are going to get Kona advice here not for Motu

Secondly - no external device I know of can handle 2K imagery- not even the IoHD can handle 2K remotely. RED uses the Kona 3 cards because they are the industries leader in video capture and playback tools- OEM versions are used by companies like Avid and Autodesk for their award winning product lines

http://www.red.com/cameras/workflow lists the Kona 3 systems as one of the simplest ways to create content out to video tape.

So are you going to go with some hardware that may not work when RED is telling you that they use AJA cards for their workflows.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Eric Harnden
on Dec 6, 2008 at 3:41:08 pm

Gary,

Thanks for the response.

As far as this being a AJA forum and not MOTU, yeah I understand. But this happened to be the only post on Creative Cow having to do with this device and it was pretty recent, so I jumped on. I'm sure you know that when people search the Internet and forums, it helps if related info is consolidated.

Since you seem to be affiliated with Creative Cow, maybe you can assist to move this to another forum?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 6, 2008 at 5:20:44 pm

[Eric Harnden] "Since you seem to be affiliated with Creative Cow, maybe you can assist to move this to another forum?"

Other than my regular posting or the occasional article, I have no affiliation with creative cow whatsoever.
Forum leaders do not have anymore rights or benefits than any other users ( Ron even kicked me off once). We are not paid for our services- the work is strictly pro bono (free)

As for other forums to post in - there are a number of posts on the Motu and Matrox products on the FCP and AE forums which cover a wide range of topics and 3rd party products.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 27, 2008 at 12:23:51 am

[Mark Griesbauer] "Does anyone know about the V4HD? Any thoughts?"

Like why do they not use smart outputs like most video Mfg's.

That ProRes is encoded based on the CPU power available in the V4HD, while the IoHD was designed in conjunction with Apple to be their specified ProRes solution.

Go search the IoHD forum for complete lists of differences, since that is better suited than this Kona forum, since comparing a FW based tool to the top PCIe Video card on the market is not really fair for you.

If you are thinking about shooting RED, there is not really another choice.

No CPU based tool is going to be able to compete, since the workflow will need to have real hardware based solutions to handle formats up to 9K in the future of the RED product line.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 27, 2008 at 3:13:08 pm

I have a client with the V3HD. They own 3 Kona 3's, and when AJA had a popping problem with the DVCProHD format for a while, they got angry and bought the V3HD. They have since purchased additional Kona 3's.

With that said, the V3HD works fine (for DVCProHD - the V4HD does other resolutions as well). What I have found is that all the professional solutions today (Blackmagic, Matrox, MOTU and AJA) have become "commodity" items - they all work - they all do the job. A lot of decisions are based either on price, or SUPPORT. I had an issue with the MOTU V3HD recently, but was disappointed that I could not call anyone at MOTU. Out of desperation, I wound up emailing them, and they were very polite and responsive, but I was disappointed that I could not make a phone call to them.

Are you trying to save some money ? If this is your "decision maker", I guess the Matrox MXO2 is much cheaper than the I/O HD or the V4HD, but I have not tried it. I am sure it works fine, but Matrox support historically has been terrible. Without knowing anything about the V4HD, if I had a gun to my head, and had to choose between the Matrox and the V4HD, I would probably choose the MOTU based on my support experience. And with all of that said - I would probably choose Blackmagic over MOTU or Matrox. But of course, almost every installation I do is AJA ONLY.

Price should not be your only consideration. You are not saving $10,000 or even $5000. If you are serious about the V4HD, I urge you to try to contact tech support, and see how responsive they are to you. Remember - there is no MOTU forum on Creative Cow !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Greg Mulvey
on Dec 12, 2008 at 8:09:29 pm

I've been using the Matrox MXO and the MXO2 and haven't had any support issues. They have a very active forum on their site as well as one here at the Cow. You can also call them if you need to talk to someone right away.

Greg

Return to posts index

Steve oakley
on Dec 12, 2008 at 9:24:04 pm

agreed. Matrox has put out new drivers to support new hardware & software as needed. the MXO has been a very stable box I really like, as well as the MXO2. since the product just works, I've not needed to call support, which I can not say for kona. I've swapped that card out several times via fedex.

Return to posts index

Ned Soltz
on Dec 12, 2008 at 9:22:29 pm

I as well have been using MXO2 since day one and have also used and reviewed AJA IoHD. I do not have any direct experience with Motu. But I do want to say that Matrox in my experience has been tremendously responsive to tech questions and has positioned MXO2 as a different product from IoHD. I'm certainly not detracting from any product; I'm merely reporting my positive experiences with Matrox.

And, in response to yet another post in the thread-- Ban Gary Adcock? Quiet, mild-mannered, un-opinionated, product-neutral Gary?

Ned Soltz

Return to posts index

Mark Di Giovanni
on Dec 12, 2008 at 9:33:35 pm

I want to say that I always classified the matrox support, one of the best support, because I bought my first professional editing board about 8 years ago, and since that any time I had a problem, I found on the other side a very great support from Matrox and from Matrox user forum community, that made me to believe that Matrox doesn't only have great products, but a great support too, so later I bought an other Matrox editing board and then an other one, and I was and I am, always satisfied by the Matrox products and support.
When I had problems with my editing boards I contacted the Matrox support and they called me back and tryied to help me by the phone or even controlling my editing system from remote, sometimes their technics passed hours talking with me on the phone to find the right solution for my problem....
So I want say that is NOT RIGHT to write something like: "Matrox support historically has been terrible", because I think and for my experiences this is true, that Matrox is a great company in developping products and support their customers!

Best Regards
Mark

Return to posts index

Eric Cosh
on Dec 13, 2008 at 12:47:20 am

I can't respond to anything except the MXO. I purchased the MXO when it first came out. At that time, I must have purchased one of the first ones off the line which is usually not the greatest idea. As far as support is concerned, the only time I ever needed it was when the MXO first came out and they responded instantly. The MXO is so solid now that I haven't needed support. I guess that's a good thing.

eric cosh

Eric Cosh
Paradigm Video Productions

Return to posts index

Eric Harnden
on Dec 5, 2008 at 7:23:46 pm

Also, what exactly does this unit do? Will there be a separate forum for it?

Sorry, also another rookie question: what do any of these devices do? Why would I want a V4HD or a AJA Kona Card?

Return to posts index

Jim Krause
on Dec 15, 2008 at 3:34:05 pm

Try calling their phone number and see what you get.

If you get what I always get (a recording), you'll know why I could never recommend their products. This isn't saying that the quality is bad- it's just that their phone support is somewhere between terrible and non-existent.

Jim Krause
tabletop productions http://www.ttop.com
(812) 332-1005

Return to posts index

Mark Di Giovanni
on Dec 20, 2008 at 12:39:42 am

Hi Jim,
I can't agree with you! I am from Italy and I called Matrox Support in Canada around 10 or 12 times and never, that mean never I had to wait to talk with a technic and if all the supports technics was busy a very gentle girl answered to me and she asked me a quick description about my problem and my contact details, so in about 10 minutes they called me back......
So I can't understand why you want make people think Matrox support is sooo bad.....is not right an not fair!!!
Matrox support is Great!!!!!
regards
Mark Di Giovanni

Return to posts index

Jim Krause
on Dec 20, 2008 at 4:46:50 am

I was responding to the MOTU VRHD thread, not Matrox. I've no opinion about Matrox or their customer service. I'm glad to hear they have good support.

best

- Jim

Jim Krause
tabletop productions http://www.ttop.com
(812) 332-1005

Return to posts index

Sandor
on Jan 15, 2009 at 3:36:47 pm

I have 8 V4HD's and I think they are terrific! We use them to record multi-camera events for broadcast.

Sandor Bondorowsky
Remote Digital Media, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]