FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconforming DV anamorphic to 720

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Parke Gregg
Reconforming DV anamorphic to 720
on Nov 24, 2008 at 10:36:50 pm

I'm about to start on a project (72 min doc) that we'll be reconforming before color correcting. We don't normally recapture a project of this size from the original tapes, nor upres it to 720, so I wanted to get some advice for best practices.

The goal: Finished project in 1280x720 ProResHQ

The source: 29.97 DV timeline and a box full of DV tapes. The footage was shot using an anamorphic lens adapter. DVcam deck with SDI out.

The questions:
1) What settings do I use in Final Cut and AJA Control panel to take the standard def SDI signal from the deck and upres it to 720?

2) If the source video is NTSC 29.97, what frame rate should the HD sequence (and media) be? 720P 59.94?

3) To prep for the recapture/upres, should I use Media Manager to create a new 720 offline sequence? Or is there a better way?

There are more questions I probably should be asking. I'll be picking up the deck in a few days and will be able to experiment then, but I wanted to get some direction before diving in.

Thanks,
Parke

-------Stuck On On--------
Audio and Video Post Production

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Reconforming DV anamorphic to 720
on Nov 24, 2008 at 11:15:17 pm

I have an article for this...well, on how to upconvert SD to HD using the Kona 3. Mainly for mixing SD with HD you shot, but this might very well work for you.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/aja_kona3.php

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Parke Gregg
SD to HD convert / Kona 3 - Re: Reconforming DV anamorphic to 720
on Nov 26, 2008 at 10:42:15 pm

Thanks Shane. You're article is a good read and helped a lot. A couple more questions:

1) The source video is SD 29.97, so I'll be capturing 720P 59.94. Does this interpellate each field into a progressive frame and play it back in double time to match the original 29.97? Does the upconvert/frame rate shift affect the way the footage looks?

2) My plan was to use Media Manager to create a new offline sequence with the 720P 59.94 settings. From this I will recapture the footage. However, when I create the new sequence, I get an error saying the frame rate cannot be different. Should a then make a new 720P 59.94 sequence and copy/paste the offline clips into it?

Any other workflows anybody could recommend?

Thanks,
Parke

-------Stuck On On--------
Audio and Video Post Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]