FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 Final Cut Studio 2 No External Video

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Hafner
Kona 3 Final Cut Studio 2 No External Video
on Nov 24, 2008 at 6:03:04 pm

Hello,
Sorry to be asking such an odd question, but here's my situation. I am working with a Early 2008 Mac Pro, a Kona 3 and Final Cut Studio 2. Up until last Friday everything worked nicely, this morning I come in start my 525 29.97 8 bit project, and I no longer get playback on my external monitor. I check the usual problem View / External Video / All Frames, and it's set. I tried using a new project with the 8 bit setup, I also tried using other apps (I will try the Kona TV App next but I don't think that will help), but what I noticed was I could input from tape at 8bit, and see it on both my computer monitor and my NTSC monitor, but once I tried to play it back normally it wouldn't work. Anu ideas. Thank you all for your time.
Steve Hafner
Refinery NYC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Kona 3 Final Cut Studio 2 No External Video
on Nov 24, 2008 at 8:45:23 pm

Open the AJA Control Panel and make sure all your settings are correct there too.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Hafner
on Nov 24, 2008 at 9:02:25 pm

Everything seems fine. As I said I can get video out of the Kona, and through the capture tool in final cut, just not in either source or sequence monitors. It feels like it's a setting issue and not a kona issue, since somethings work and other don't.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 24, 2008 at 9:08:50 pm

[Steve Hafner] "As I said I can get video out of the Kona, and through the capture tool in final cut, just not in either source or sequence monitors."

I thought you said "this morning I come in start my 525 29.97 8 bit project, and I no longer get playback on my external monitor"

How can do you know video is going out thru the Kona if you cannot see it on your external monitor? Source and Sequence monitors, to me, are the VIEWER and the CANVAS...then the external monitor is the broadcast monitor. So which is it? Where can't you see it? Internally in FCP or externally on the monitor?

Pardon my confusion.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Hafner
on Nov 24, 2008 at 11:08:57 pm

Ross, Thank you for your time, and sorry for the confusion. Here's the way things have gone today. Me being a little out there, as soon as I couldn't get any playback on my Client (broadcast) monitor, I started playing with other applications to test out what the problem (forgetting about Kona TV), so I tried inputting and outputting from my system through the Kona to and from tape. Inputting worked though the kona and I saw the NTSC image on both my client (broadcast) monitor, and on my computer monitor. That made me think it isn't a cabling, or hardware issue, that it maybe a setting or driver issue. Now that I can actually test somethings, Kona TV isn't working either, so I may try reinstalling the kona software to see if that fixes the issue, but if anyone has any other ideas they are very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 25, 2008 at 12:07:40 am

This is what you are going to do. I assume you have some SDI VTR there that you can pass thru your Kona 3 - is this correct ?

1) close FCP
2) open AJA Control Panel
3) select SDI 1 input on INPUT tab
4) go to control tab. Select TEST PATTERN - do you see color bars on your TV - yes or no -
5) if you don't see color bars, we can stop here. You either have bad cables, bad TV monitor or bad Kona card.
6) if you DO see color bars, switch the Control tab to INPUT PASSTHROUGH. Play your SDI VTR into the Kona - do you see a picture on your TV monitor ? - yes or no (if it's an analog composite or component TV, do you have the correct setting selected in the ANALOG tab of the control panel ?).

OK - so lets assume that your AJA Control Panel tests worked, and you can play your VTR thru your Kona card using AJA Control Panel. Lets now deal with your FCP system.

1) in the AJA Control Panel, do not leave the CONTROL tab on input passthru - change it to test pattern or black - either one. Then close the AJA Control Panel.
2) Launch FCP
3) close any existing project completely
4) create a new project
5) using EASY SETUP - choose an EASY SETUP that corresponds to your tape source (like AJA Kona uncompressed 10 bit SDI, or AJA Kona 59.94 DVCProHD - or whatever corresponds to your VTR and tape source).
6) open up log and capture, and capture some footage, using the CAPTURE NOW tab.
7) close log and capture. Play back the clip. Do you see it on the TV ? If you don't - check the usual VIEW/External Video/All Frames. If it's selected, but you STILL cant see your video, it's time to TRASH YOUR FCP PREFERENCES.

If you dont' know how to do this, let me know, and I will tell you.

Bob zelin

Return to posts index

Steve Hafner
on Nov 25, 2008 at 1:10:22 am

First, I want to thank you and Ross for your help. I will answer your questions, but reinstalling the software seems to have fixed the issue.
I did see color bars, and I did see a pass thru. I had already tried creating a new project with easy setup, and inputting, and I could see it on my computer monitor after taking it in, but it wouldn't play back to my ntsc monitor.
Reinstalling seemed to do the trick, hopefully I can figure exactly what happened out in the future, but it makes me happy to get this done before midnight. Thank you very much for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]