FORUMS: list search recent posts

Format SAS raid? DVRAID?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Levy
Format SAS raid? DVRAID?
on Nov 23, 2008 at 9:07:15 pm

Hi,

Setting up the new SAS 8 drive SAS raid. Using the ATTO SAS r380 host adaptor.

Using a Kona 3 to ingest and master HD to and from DVCProHD, using ProRes codec. Mac Pro quad core, 8 gigs memory.

I notice that Atto has a propriatary drive striping format called DVRaid, it looks good. Anyone using this?

Can this setup be striped with data redundancy and still be fast enough for HD? If so which striping format should we use? Raid 5? Sorry I can't seem to figure out what the correct format to stripe is..

Thanks for your help, opinions and information about your own system.

Jason

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Format SAS raid? DVRAID?
on Nov 23, 2008 at 9:40:04 pm

We run 8drive Maxx Digital SAS arrays using the R380. They're all striped RAID 5 and run up to 500MB/s which is plenty fast enough for even 2K work.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

jason levy
Re: Format SAS raid? DVRAID?
on Nov 24, 2008 at 4:03:08 am

Thanks Walter.

jason

Return to posts index

jason levy
Which slot for the ATTO?
on Nov 24, 2008 at 2:35:47 pm

Pre 2008 mac pro. As per the Aja docs I've got the slots set up as 4=4x, 3=3x, 2=1x and 1- 16x.

I've got I've got the Kona in slot 3 (also per the instructions) but now where do I put the ATTO R380? In the ATTO docs it say to put it into an 8 or 16x slot.. but if I set it up according to the AJA docs there are only x4 slots available. Aja say to put "storage" in slot 4.. Will the ATTO run properly in a 4x slot?

Or I can configure it with 2 4x and 2 8x.. put the ATTO in an 8 x.. but then the graphics card is 8x not 16 x...

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Which slot for the ATTO?
on Nov 25, 2008 at 12:10:47 am

AJA in slot 3 (x4 slot), ATTO R380 in slot 4 (x4 slot). You made a typo when you said x3 slot - there is no x3 slot. Your remaining unused slot is slot 2 which is a x1 slot. Your graphics card is x16.

Why did you choose a complex card like this if you have no one to assist you in the setup of the card. Whose drive box are you using - Sonnet ?

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Nov 25, 2008 at 2:00:02 pm

Hi Bob,

The ATTO documentation says that the card needs a 16x or 8x slot.. you are saying it runs fast enough in a 4x slot?

The box is a Proavio..

http://www.proavio.com/

THanks,

Jason

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 25, 2008 at 5:31:01 pm

yes - this is the same as the Sonnet Technologies product - Sonnet buys their boxes from Proavio (Enhance Technology), and uses the ATTO R380 card.

Yes - x4 is perfect, and this is what you should use. Once you setup your RAID 5 with 8 drives, you will get over 500Mb/sec, in the x4 slot.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Nov 25, 2008 at 5:45:46 pm

THanks for the help. That's what we've done and it's working good.

j.

Return to posts index

warwick teale
Re: Which slot for the ATTO R380 expresssas HBA?
on Dec 5, 2008 at 12:35:20 pm

HI Jason, just saw your post and wondered whath throughput you are getting for:
• captures &
• objects copies via the OSx finder or for example shell's "cp".

I believe I have a similar setup to youself as a pre 2008 MACPRO 8 x core (8GB ram)..

I also have an ATTO express R380 HBA in slot4 (x 8 and x4 [testing]) with both multi lane minis sas cables SFF-8088's into a PROAVIO EB8MS JBOD enclosure (4 x 1TB WDCS 7200rpms and 4 x 500GB 7200rpm WDC DDMs) (4+2=6TB) . I configures 2 x RAID) stripes with ATTO config tool as:
• 1MB stripe
• 4K sector
• x4 read ahead buffers (for when I pull stuff around).

Using expansionslot.app and the ATTOTECH expressas R380, I have conducted testing using controls of:
•  SLOT4 as (8x) and
• SLOT 4 as (4x)

with DVCPROHD 1080p (110Mbs) material to see how long it takes a few hours (80-100GB) of this stuff to be around and around these two external RAID0's in the PROAVIO EB8MS.

I'm curious to know what effective data rates because I have tried various objects movements between these two RAID devices?

I seems to be maxing out at around only 305MB/sec..... which my all accounts on many forums is not that fast for this setup.

I also have an LSI SAS3442E-R I use for ultrium LTO4 Ultrium SAS tape drives (works great BTW) with HP and QUANTUM on OSX. (slot 2 or slot 3 as x8 or x4 respectively)

Look forward to your reply.

thanks

w
Hong Kong

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Dec 5, 2008 at 3:04:02 pm

Hi, I'm not in front of the system at this moment but with the configuration suggested by bob above we are getting just about the 500 mb per second as expected. 300 sounds a bit on the slow side.

I'll try to find a moment to have a closer look at the raid settings for you if the editor takes a break.

jason

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Dec 5, 2008 at 11:26:48 pm

We have the R380 with a 6TB 8-drive PDE enclosure. ATTO just released their new firmware and driver that fixed a previous problem where the card did not negotiate properly with the 16x slots on the newer MacPros. Until yesterday we had the card in a 4x slot and it wrote and read near 500MB/s. Now, in the 16x slot, for DVCPro HD 1080i60 (based on the AJA System Test 4GB file) it writes at 550MB/s and reads at 705 MB/sec!

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.4 QT7.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

warwick teale
on Dec 6, 2008 at 6:04:49 am

HI Jason, I'd agree that 300+MB/sec is slow but my observations are not from NOT using the AJA system test tool.app just some basic non capture workflows (finder and shell commands for moving stuff round and FCP work, compressor.app and motion.app etc).

I also only have 2 groups x (4 x 1TB WDC1002's , 4 x WDC5000's 500GB ) each R380 group, not 8 x DDMs.

R380 HBA on slot4 (x4 mode)

Using the AJA System Test tool for DVCPROHD1080/50 4GB object on BOTH of these 4 by RAID0 groups I get:

(a) group01 RAID0 striped over 4 x 1TB of 7200RPM WDC1000-YS with results when
disable file system cache is ON (ticked): WRITES=390MB/sec and READS=430MB/sec

(b) group02 RAID0 striped over 4 x 500GB of 7200RPM WDC5000YS with results when
•  disable file system cache is ON (ticked): WRITES=279MB/sec and READS=261MB/sec

Shoudl I get time to tie all these WDC DDMs and configure a new 8x GROUP into an 8 x Raid0 on the PROAVIO E8MS JBOD enclosure after i arcive the objects, I think I will se at least a 50% inprovement in the realm of 500MB/sec as other are seeing.

However for my workflows this is fine.

As for the original post my ATTO TEch R380 SAS HBA is on SLOT4 as an x4 lane. works great!

(i also have an LSI SAS 3442E-R in slot 3 as an x4 lane in MACPRO because I have some SAS ULTRIUM LSO tape drives attached from time to time).

hth

w

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
Any experience with ATTO DVRAID?
on Sep 21, 2010 at 2:09:16 pm

I'm reviving a two year old thread, because I have the same question as the OP, which didn't get answered. But, after two years, maybe somebody actually has used DVRAID, and can comment on it.

ATTO claims, "breakthrough performance for a parity protected solution." And from a company FAQ:

Q: What is DVRAID™?
A:

DVRAID™ is ATTO’s proprietary technology which is optimized for digital content creation environments which require protection in the event of a disk failure without the performance penalty traditionally seen with parity RAID. DVRAID supports the editing of 4k film, multiple 2k film streams, multiple uncompressed high definition (HD) video and multiple streams of real-time, uncompressed standard definition (SD) video.

I was thinking that RAID 5 was typically the solution for video editing, but I can't find a lot of info on-line about DVRAID.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro (Harpertown-Early 2008) 2x4 3GHz; 32G RAM all the same brand; Dual Boot: 10.6.3 & 10.5.8; QT 7.6.6; FCS3; Kona LHi in PCI slot 3 (7.5.1); Primary display: 30" ACD; Secondary: HP LP2480zx DreamColor (A) via AJA HDP2 SDI to HDMI converter and (B) DVI from MacPro.

Return to posts index

jason levy
Re: Any experience with ATTO DVRAID?
on Sep 21, 2010 at 2:16:00 pm

I was told by ATTO recently that raid 5 is now preferred to DVraid. That's what we are using.

Return to posts index

Jim Curtis
on Sep 21, 2010 at 2:33:06 pm

Interesting. Did he or she happen to give you a reason? Just curious.

Thanks.

Jim Curtis
jamesphilipcurtis.com

MacPro (Harpertown-Early 2008) 2x4 3GHz; 32G RAM all the same brand; Dual Boot: 10.6.3 & 10.5.8; QT 7.6.6; FCS3; Kona LHi in PCI slot 3 (7.5.1); Primary display: 30" ACD; Secondary: HP LP2480zx DreamColor (A) via AJA HDP2 SDI to HDMI converter and (B) DVI from MacPro.

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Sep 21, 2010 at 2:37:23 pm

I was told that DVraid was a kind of stopgap thing that was invented at the time to fill a certain need but that now has been superseded by Raid 5. Call up ATTO tech support and you can get more detail. They are great. Spent a lot of time on the phone with me and answered all my questions.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 21, 2010 at 2:57:08 pm

I tested both and RAID5 was as good or slightly better. We went RAID5 as it was more common and tried-and-true.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]