FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe output to Monitor Problems

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Knapich
Kona LHe output to Monitor Problems
on Nov 19, 2008 at 6:40:38 pm

I am playing back an FCP sequence - ProRes422 1080i29.97 - captured through the Kona card. We are going out through the cards SDI output to an HD monitor at the same size.
The problem is in plays fine except for every so often we get green flash frames in the monitor. We changed out our cables, checked the card etc. frames do not happen in FCP window, or when we output a QT.

Any ideas? thanks

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Kona LHe output to Monitor Problems
on Nov 20, 2008 at 5:46:23 am

[John Knapich] "Any ideas? thanks"

without more info on your setup and software versions it is hard to tell.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

John Knapich
on Nov 20, 2008 at 2:27:39 pm

MacPro Quad Core, FCP 6, Kona LHe card (AJA vers6), HD/SDI out to a JVC broadcast monitor. When we play back a ProRes 1080i sequence we are getting green flashes on the monitor intermittently. Flashes are only to the monitor so we suspect it has to do with the card.
Anyone experience this?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 20, 2008 at 3:52:55 pm

OK,

I am trying to help you from Paris, so please be more specific.

OS is 10.4 or 10.5 and version down to the point.

FCP6 - 01, 02,03 04?

AJA driver 6.0 or 6.01 and did you update the firmware with the driver install?

QT versions

and

new system?
how much RAM

Footage was captured from what source?

Flashes - are they random to do they occur at specific intervals - what else has touched the footage
Like After Effects?

the green flashes are usually a processing error in ProRes, if the card was bad the signal would be green all the time.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

John Knapich
on Nov 20, 2008 at 4:03:51 pm

OS 10.5.5, AJA 6.01, FCP 6.04, 10GB memory - this is a new computer, everything recently updated. We are playing off a Dulce 8drive raid, footage was originally DVCPRo HD 1080i captured using ProRes 422. The sequence is completely rendered, nothing from After Effects - mainly a Doc style program with basic titles. The flashes happen randomly.

"the green flashes are usually a processing error in ProRes, if the card was bad the signal would be green all the time"
Should I reseat the card? I believe we already did that, and switched a BNC cable.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Nov 20, 2008 at 5:52:16 pm

John,

I am not a FCP or ProRes user but this may be worth a shot AND I would most certainly call AJA for help.

If there is an issue with the firmware on the AJA board it will display a green flashing like you describe. I can not say with certainty that this is the case but it may be worth checking it out. If that AJA board sat on a vendors shelf it may be running a version of firmware that is outdated.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Gene Bauer
on Nov 20, 2008 at 7:43:08 pm

I'm dealing with a different output issue and just upgraded my KONA LHe from 5.11 version to 6.0.1. I called KONA and there is no firmware update to be done on the LH or LHe only the KONA3. So if you have an LHe and your info tab of the AJA control panel is showing the correct version...you are OK.

Return to posts index

Jay Chance
on Nov 21, 2008 at 7:53:16 pm

Try setting FCPs playback under "View" ..."Video Playback" to AJA Kona 1080i29.97 8bit (1920x1080)...
I believe it defaults to 10 bit... I've had better luck with it set to 8 bit for a monitor playback.

Return to posts index

Slika Ton
on Dec 13, 2008 at 12:18:18 am

Hello John,

I just want to confirm that I have the same issue on a system configured similar to yours. It is worth noting that green flashes appear even when playhead is parked on the timeline, and that just shows that speed of hard drives does not have anything to do with the problem. And problem only occurs on a ProRes 1080i projects, everything is working for me in PAL, no flashes whatsoever.

FCP 6.0.4
QT 7.5.5
Kona LHe 6.0.1 (I don't know how to check or change the firmware)
OS 10.5.5
2.8 8core Mac Pro
8GB RAM
fw800 G-RAID

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]