FORUMS: list search recent posts

Betacam SP I/Os on a Kona LHe

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Tinsley
Betacam SP I/Os on a Kona LHe
on Nov 11, 2008 at 6:22:10 pm

Greetings all,

We are in the process of upgrading our Discreet Edit6 systems to Final Cut Pro. We have a BetaSP deck as a source and a question has arisen about the I/Os on the Kona LHe. Now forgive me here because I've done a little research on this so far including in these forums but I have to satisfy my boss here with a definite answer. The back of my beta's analog component output says:

Y R-Y B-Y

But most electronics these days and I'm assuming that perhaps the KonaLHe is also labeled:

Y Pb Pr

The consensus seems to be that these signals are identical. If that is true then HOW ARE THE CONNECTORS MATCHED UP? Is it:

Y goes to Y
R-Y goes to Pr
B-Y goes to Pb

Please help. We cannot order this card until we confirm this.

Many Thanks,

Nate

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Betacam SP I/Os on a Kona LHe
on Nov 11, 2008 at 6:54:23 pm

You got it. That is how they are connected. Someone here might chime in with why they are labelled the way they are...R-Y as opposed to Pr...because I certainly don't know. But that is how you connect them.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on Nov 11, 2008 at 7:38:24 pm

Thanks Shane,

Thought I had it right! Finally are you actually using a Kona LHe with a BetacamSP deck or is anyone else for that matter? I would love to just have one person post saying "yes I've successfully connected a BETACAMSP deck to my Kona LHe and it works!" Sorry but it's got to be a sure thing for my supervisor.

Nate

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 11, 2008 at 7:40:58 pm

I have, yes. Captured from and output too. Mainly output too. Mostly I work with HD and need to output to SD. And when I capture SD, I need to upconvert it to HD, so for that I use my Kona 3. But the LH is on another machine and has it's uses.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on Nov 11, 2008 at 8:00:30 pm

Outstanding! Thanks Shane!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 11, 2008 at 11:43:01 pm

Shane is correct, and you are correct. But since I am the troublemaker on this list, your Beta VTR is the next to go. I can see that you are still using the Discreet *edit, which means that you guys like hanging on to equipment for years, and you and your boss need to justify this expense. Well, the HD world is here, and that Beta VTR, and Y R-Y B-Y is on it's last legs. Y Pb Pr is for analog HD, which is used for consumer "HD Ready" Plasma displays, and low end HDV VTR's. Products like the AJA Kona LHe, Kona 3 (and all products from Blackmagic, Matrox, AVID, MOTU, Sony, Panasonic, JVC) use SDI and HD-SDI with embedded audio.

I am lecturing you here because your old gear is DOOMED and your bosses boss will be spending a LOT OF MONEY in the near future. All nice new EXPENSIVE digital equipment, with SDI and HD-SDI equipment.

And where is the damn Discreet *editors forum on Creative Cow anyway ?

The Kona LHe is a fine piece of gear, and is compatible with anything and everything on the market (incluing your Betamax composite video output).

bob Zelin
ps - by the way - Discreet (now Autodesk) uses AJA Xena products in their current product line.

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on Nov 12, 2008 at 3:48:02 am

Aaaah Bob I was hoping to hear from you! And I appreciate and fully agree with the lecture! I took it very well and had a nice chuckle! Yes we do hang on to gear for quite a while. Too long in fact. I work in the Creative Services department at a local TV station. We shoot local commercials and promotions and community service stuff. We have two shooters and two editors and we stay VERY busy. I'm a shooter and effectively a third editor. Currently we're using two Discreet Edit 6 platforms running WINDOWS NT!!! Aaargh! The systems have Matrox Digisuite boards. We just purchased a sony PMW-EX1 and also a brand new EX3 which we are very excited about hence the need for new edit systems. The only thing is we've got lots and lots of betacam masters and field tapes that we still need to work from between now and the changeover to HD sooooo that's were this all came from.

So thanks very much to you all! Kona LHe and FCP here I come! Can't wait!

Nate

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Nov 12, 2008 at 4:16:32 am

I cannot believe that you guys are editing on Windows NT. Any court of law would surely see that as cruel and unusual punishment. When I started editing it was on Windows NT –that was 10 years ago! I had to reformat the system drive and reinstall NT every six months just to keep the system running. When I went to Win2k I thought I was in heaven because I only had to reinstall every 12 months. Now I'm on OSX with a Kona Lhe and it is so stable, so nice. I don't know how you haven't gone crazy. Perhaps you are writing from the asylum... they let you out of the straitjacket just long enough to type in a few therapeutic posts on the Cow. Perhaps your therapist's strategy is to make you believe that you are upgrading. I don't want to ruin it for you. I wish you the best in your quest for mental health.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
on Nov 12, 2008 at 2:13:35 pm

...these walls are so nice and white and soothing... and my straight jacket is sooo comfortable! Hahaha! I laughed out loud! Yes I know it just seems unbelievable! Quite a transition huh? Like launching off the deck of an aircraft carrier! We've had a few problems with stability but have not had to reformat much. We did have one system drive fill up completely with timelines and graphics. It was a machine I don't get to that often so I just trained the main user of that system and she has kept it pretty clean! I've gotta say though that the whole insert record vs. over record coupled with tabbing multiple tracks was a very powerful and virtually unmatched tool in Discreet edit. I hope to find something similar in FCP. We'll see!

Nate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]