COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Keller
10 bit uncompressed Quicktime doesn't playback
on Nov 8, 2008 at 7:57:05 pm

Hello,

I'm really desperated. I got a couple of DPX files and transferred them
into a 10 bit uncompressed Quicktime (Aja Kona Codec). The file
do not playback well (it stops very often). I tried different computers (Macbook Pro 2,5 GhZ, Mac Pro (new one) and different players (Quicktime and AJA Kona TV). The file was on the internal hard drive which should be quick enough (I guess). Is it maybe the graphic card which is not quick enough?

Is there a way to play out a HDCAM master even if the film doesn't run well on the monitor? Why is it not playing well?

Please help me... Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 10 bit uncompressed Quicktime doesn't playback
on Nov 8, 2008 at 10:54:18 pm

to playback 10 bit UC 1080i files you need a hard drive that is running 200 MB/ sec+. It's not possible from a laptop and your desktop needs a fast raid to do so.

Return to posts index

Jared Picune
on Nov 9, 2008 at 12:46:09 am

For the fastest hardware RIAD speeds on a laptop check out the CalDigit HDOne and the eLane-1ex. It will give you speeds of about 190 or so MB/s on the MacBook Pro.

Jared Picune
Idea Spring Editing, Inc.
Denver Final Cut Pro UG
Geeky Mac | FCP Tips & Tricks

Return to posts index

Chris Keller
on Nov 9, 2008 at 10:43:56 am

Thanks for your quick answer.

So it is even imossible if I put on the internal HD of my Mac Pro? Any suggestions for a cheap RAID 1 TB working with the MAc Pro?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 9, 2008 at 2:58:00 pm

[Chris Keller] "So it is even imossible if I put on the internal HD of my Mac Pro? Any suggestions for a cheap RAID 1 TB working with the MAc Pro?"

No.

Normal DPX seq's need to play back at 200-250 MBps. There is no internal drive I know of that can handle that data rate since you do not have enough drives in the computer to handle that kind of data rate.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 10, 2008 at 5:18:31 pm

If you put 3 drives in the spare slots in the MacPro and raided them RAID 0, you will be able to play back this footage. This isn't the most stable RAID, however. Lose one drive, then all data is lost. BUT, it works, and the likelihood of losing that data is low.

You can also look into the CalDigit RAID CARD to add protection to that internal Raid. Apple has one too, but CalDigits is half price, and you can install it yourself.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]