FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona 3 NTSC-J Capture...?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Merkwan
Kona 3 NTSC-J Capture...?
on Nov 4, 2008 at 9:24:17 pm

We had a shoot in Japan and the tapes came back 1080 29.97 Psf. I am running a Sony HD CAM SR deck w/ a Kona 3. I cant find a capture setting that will work with the footage. I am wondering if its NTSC-J, and the card is bugging out. The deck can playback the tape, but Kona freaks out when i try anything related... 1080i, 1080 23.98 psf, etc. I tried to change settings to match the tape settings exactly and nothing is working... has anyone encountered this problem? I dont even know if its possible to import this footage without a conversion. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Kona 3 NTSC-J Capture...?
on Nov 5, 2008 at 5:53:17 pm

I am not aware of NTSC-J footage in HD. Besides NTSC-J is basically NTSC minus setup. Since there's no setup in HD, I think you are okay.

I imagine that you don't have the deck setup properly. You mention SR, but are you trying to come in dual link or single? If it is psf, you should only need to setup your capture to 1080i 29.97 (but be careful with your field dominance here, you will have to manually change it in FCP after you capture).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mike Merkwan
on Nov 5, 2008 at 7:22:44 pm

Ya i tried to capture with 1080i several times. The deck started cranking on the drums and eventually it would spit out the tape with the "Bad Drum" error. The deck would play the tape fine so I know the deck was setup properly. It was on the Final Cut / Kona side. But I tried everything... I have never had a problem w/ any HD capture w/ HD CAM SR. I actually updated the Kona software right before this project. In the capture window I could see the footage but it wouldnt lock and it was VERY jumpy. I couldnt capture anything... it would drop frames immediatley.

Basically the tape would run fine in the deck until i launched Log and Capture. And then everything would start freaking out... unless I had the proper setting...

the rats are getting fat while good men die...

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 5, 2008 at 7:24:02 pm

[Mike Merkwan] "Ya i tried to capture with 1080i several times. "

there is not any interlaced formats in Dual Link. All "i" formats are single link.

"The deck started cranking on the drums and eventually it would spit out the tape with the "Bad Drum" error. The deck would play the tape fine so I know the deck was setup properly. "

This makes no sense- either it plays the tape or it does not - there is NOTHING in FCP that would or can say "Bad Drum" that would be coming from the deck.

"I actually updated the Kona software right before this project. In the capture window I could see the footage but it wouldnt lock and it was VERY jumpy"

did you update the firmware on the kona card at the same time?

"Basically the tape would run fine in the deck until i launched Log and Capture. And then everything would start freaking out... unless I had the proper setting... "

that is a sync issue. 24p to 30i conversions need to have trilevel sync.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Mike Merkwan
on Nov 5, 2008 at 7:38:22 pm

I tried single link as well and that did not work. I think the tri level sync was probably the issue. So if i had a sync the proper way to bring in 1080 29.97Psf is through the 1080i 29.97 (single link) option? The deck guys were saying i didnt need a sync to capture, but just to lay off. So i ruled that one out early. Not having a tri-level sync does sound like the problem to me. Thank you guys for everything!

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.myspace.com/battleflask

Return to posts index

Mike Merkwan
on Nov 5, 2008 at 7:26:18 pm

ya I was rolling dual link. The footage is 4:4:4.

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.myspace.com/battleflask

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]