FORUMS: list search recent posts

DPXtoQT not usable for feature work?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Nichols
DPXtoQT not usable for feature work?
on Nov 2, 2008 at 4:55:33 am

Anyone one have any success working with reference movies of DPX files wrapped in the 10 bit RGB codec wrapper? I have over 1100 scans in my browser and the browser in terribly slow. I am constantly getting error messages in the canvas window stating "display unavailable." I would love to stay with Glue Tools, but my files are 1868 x 780. I can finish my edit in a 1868 x 780 timeline in FCP, but I need to be able to send to shake and color (for resizing and grading) and I cannot do that with Gluetools/FCP. Do I need to make all my DPX stacks self contained 10bit LOG RGB files in order for this to work problem free?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: DPXtoQT not usable for feature work?
on Nov 3, 2008 at 2:53:15 pm

[Michael Nichols] "Anyone one have any success working with reference movies of DPX files wrapped in the 10 bit RGB codec wrapper? I have over 1100 scans in my browser and the browser in terribly slow."

I use it all the time, on an almost daily basis and I do not think it is slow at all, it takes only a couple of seconds to wrap into a useable QT file. 1100 frames is not even 1 minute of footage.(@24fps)
Note that if your math is off the limit to any folder in the OS is 10,000 items.

I warned you when you first asked the question that the off size frame you are working with was going to be an issue. FCP does not like to work in anything but a standard frame raster. Ramona Howard did also and her company specializes devices for DPX workflows.

[Michael Nichols] "I would love to stay with Glue Tools, but my files are 1868 x 780....but I need to be able to send to shake and color (for resizing and grading) and I cannot do that with Gluetools/FCP."

Why not? The GT toolset work for me DAILY! I have never had an issue about sending to shake or color. Have you contacted him or posted on the GT user forum?

"Do I need to make all my DPX stacks self contained 10bit LOG RGB files in order for this to work problem free"

Color and Shake both come from the DPX workflow so they have no issues with video as a frame seq, Pre Apple - Final Touch ( now Color) actually preferred working with frames rather than video files- better for the render farms needed to deliver the files fast enough.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Michael Nichols
on Nov 3, 2008 at 4:10:24 pm

[gary adcock] "I use it all the time, on an almost daily basis and I do not think it is slow at all, it takes only a couple of seconds to wrap into a useable QT file. 1100 frames is not even 1 minute of footage.(@24fps)
Note that if your math is off the limit to any folder in the OS is 10,000 items"

Not 1100 frames. 1100 Sequences. I have 1100 wrapped reference movies. The problem I am encountering is anytime I do ANYTHING in the browser (expand/collapse a folder, create a new sequence, delete/import a file) FCP chokes for about 2 minutes of spinning beach ball. The reference movie workflow is GREAT and if I can pinpoint the problem causing FCP to act weird, then I will stick with this workflow.

[gary adcock] "Why not? The GT toolset work for me DAILY! I have never had an issue about sending to shake or color. Have you contacted him or posted on the GT user forum? "

The new version of Glue Tools actually works great with my odd sized frame sizes.

May I ask how you successfully send from Final Cut Pro to Color or Shake if you are working with DPX sequences using the Glue Tools Plugin? As far as I know from the creator of GT, there is no real working way to send to Color from within FCP.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 3, 2008 at 5:10:51 pm

[Michael Nichols] "I have over 1100 scans in my browser and the browser in terribly slow."

OK you said 1100 scans the first time- that equals frames to me.

[Michael Nichols] "Not 1100 frames. 1100 Sequences. I have 1100 wrapped reference movies."

Then I do not understand your workflow- FCP cannot handle 1100 separate sequences I believe the browser maxes out just below 1000 items per bin and the OS chokes when there are more than 9,000 items in a folder.

My guess is your machine and playback devices are just not powerful enough I do this type of work on a 8core with 16G of ram and either SAS or Fibre storage.

"May I ask how you successfully send from Final Cut Pro to Color or Shake if you are working with DPX sequences using the Glue Tools Plugin?"

XML from FCP then relink to the original DPX's in there original folders for each shot, just like you have to do with any other DPX workflow.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Michael Nichols
on Nov 3, 2008 at 6:54:50 pm

[gary adcock] "Then I do not understand your workflow- FCP cannot handle 1100 separate sequences I believe the browser maxes out just below 1000 items per bin and the OS chokes when there are more than 9,000 items in a folder.

My guess is your machine and playback devices are just not powerful enough I do this type of work on a 8core with 16G of ram and either SAS or Fibre storage. "

I have an 8Core with 16gb Ram and a CalDigit HDOne, which gets about 350mb/sec speeds. The data rates of the sequences top out at about 160mb/sec.

I could get a picture edit in FCP/GT using the DPX sequences no problem. The problem lies when I need to move to Shake for slight cropping/resizing (matting the 1868x780 footage into a 1920 x 1080 canvas) and then color for grading.

I haven't had much success using the XML method of reconnecting dpx sequences.

Perhaps I can restructure my project a little more efficiently so that FCP doesn't choke. 1100 .mov's in the browser shouldn't be causing this much trouble!

Return to posts index

Michael Nichols
on Nov 4, 2008 at 3:51:25 am

Gary,

If you could detail your GT/Color DPX relinking method with XML, that would be great! I cannot seem to get it to work. When I import the XML file into Color, I get the offline edits, but relinking them doesn't seem to do the trick...HOWEVER, if I relink the file to the corresponding AJA reference movie, it relinks. I wonder, If I relink to that AJA QT reference, and then render out a QT movie, then use the QTtoDPX translator, do I lose anything? I would love to render out DPX's directly from Color when relinking to the AJA movies, but it can't. I would REALLY love to be able to relink directly to the DPX files. Share, oh master Gary!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 4, 2008 at 1:58:23 pm

Michael

We are at the point in this conversation where this needs to be taken offline for a discussion on fees, your needs and issues and how my company can provide a solution.

Defining and Designing workflows at this level of expertise is my business.

Info at studio37.com will reach me.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]