FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD sync question (for Bob)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Thompson
HD sync question (for Bob)
on Oct 29, 2008 at 5:05:07 pm

So I like to do some research before I ask questions, but since this is new to me, I hope you can give me a simple answer. Doing a HD show...network needs 1080i/29.97 HDCAM masters...and SD digibeta masters.

I currently have a SD sync generator. Since this is my first 'start to finish' HD job (client can't afford to send it out...longer story), Do I need the AJA GEN10 for HDCAM output? or can I use my Horita?
I read one of your posts (Bob) that seem to indicate that the deck needs to be told what to look for...and that can be a SD sync signal!?!?!?! is that right?
I assume this is the same for the Kona card.

Can you confirm this?

Thanks.

RIOT Productions
G5, Kona LH, FCS2, CalDigit

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
Re: HD sync question (for Bob)
on Oct 29, 2008 at 8:03:28 pm

if your hdcam deck is in 29.97 / 59.94, SD sync should work. the gen10 is a must in hd 23.98.
but bo can confirm...

"HE'S SUCH A GIRL" HD feature film
grade and finish @ post + beam
http://www.postandbeam.tv

Return to posts index

Ron Thompson
on Oct 30, 2008 at 2:54:15 am

Sounds good to me!! Thanks

RIOT Productions

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 30, 2008 at 9:21:56 pm

Paul Provost has posted incorrect information. DO NOT set your GEN10 to 23.98. This is for working at 23.98, not 29.97 or 59.94. Do not follow this advice -

you write -
network needs 1080i/29.97 HDCAM masters...and SD digibeta masters.
I currently have a SD sync generator. Since this is my first 'start to finish' HD job (client can't afford to send it out...longer story), Do I need the AJA GEN10 for HDCAM output? or can I use my Horita?

REPLY - you absolutely can use your Horita BSG-50 (not BG-50). Make sure that you have black from this generator going to both your HD VTR SD input, your HD VTR is set to SD reference (it's a menu in the Sony VTR, and no, I don't remmeber the menu #), and you have black also going to your AJA product. Make sure your AJA Control Panel is set to external reference, and not internal.

I read one of your posts (Bob) that seem to indicate that the deck needs to be told what to look for...and that can be a SD sync signal!?!?!?! is that right?

REPLY - this is correct - on some Sony HD VTR's, they have seperate HD and SD External Reference inputs, and you use the MANUAL to look up what menu to change so the VTR references to the SD sync (your Horita box). Make sure that the 75 ohm switch is set to ON on the VTR, or the Horita will appear to not be working.

I assume this is the same for the Kona card.
REPLY - no, the Kona auto senses the HD/SD reference. I don't know what your footage is, and there are differnet philosopys on workflow - I would run the entire job at 1080i 29.97 (59.94), and you can use your Horita box.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Oct 30, 2008 at 10:02:30 pm

old man zelin must have misplaced his reading glasses again. if you look at my post i said your sd sync will work with 59.94hd.
and that you would only need the gen10 for 23.98.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 30, 2008 at 10:08:55 pm

Paul is correct - I am old, and I did not read his post correctly.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ron Thompson
on Oct 30, 2008 at 10:29:41 pm

Thanks Bob... yes I do have the BSG... so I'm good to go.
I'll research the menu setting before I get the deck... or maybe the rental house can get that all set up for me. Appreciate the info.

Thank you too, Paul.

RIOT Productions

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Oct 31, 2008 at 4:01:33 am

yes get the rental house to set up everything possible based on what you expect the job to be - you pay a lot for the rental so they should earn their keep beyond dropoff and pickup (at least the good ones do). and get a cell phone number of their tech if you can!

Return to posts index

Ron Thompson
on Oct 30, 2008 at 10:35:25 pm

BTW, this is DVCPRO HD footage...HPX900's (3 cams) 1080/24p... captured at 29.97.
Workflow is 1080/29.97.

RIOT Productions

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 31, 2008 at 2:23:09 am

as long as you are using the default pulldown to 29.97 (59.94), your Horita box will work just fine for this job. I am seeing more and more Panasonic jobs being done at 1080i 29.97, instead of 720p 59.94.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]