FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard Crash after monitoring Various apps from Kona

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Nelson
Hard Crash after monitoring Various apps from Kona
on Oct 25, 2008 at 5:44:56 am

Just finished cabling the Kona LHe in my Intel G5 suite, and had been checking out the composite video output of the Kona from Motion, FCP, etc. and the Macintosh Desktop to a broadcast CRT. What fun! Used Displays in System Preferences to set appropriate resolutions, and used the AJA software to set output of the Kona and things looked wonderful.

After the session I shut down, and the computer hung on the blue screen. Wouldn't shut down for the longest time. Finally cut power to the outfit. Didn't like that.

Trying to start later, got only to grey screen. Turned off the external monitor, thinking that it was confusing the computer's display settings. Reset the NVRAM, and the CPU recycled thru a few startups and finally found the boot drive and got back up. Frightening! Repaired permissions and verified the drive. All looked good. Now I'm spooked!

I guess my question is one of workflow. What are the 'best practice' protocols for working with Desktop displays and extended monitoring like this? Should I configure the interlaced display only when using that functionality and then reset to a single display (my 30" Cinema Display) before I shut down? I don't want harm the startup drive or confuse the display drivers again. IF that's what happened. Thoughts? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Hard Crash after monitoring Various apps from Kona
on Oct 26, 2008 at 4:07:14 am

[Bill Nelson] "Should I configure the interlaced display only when using that functionality and then reset to a single display (my 30" Cinema Display) before I shut down? I don't want harm the startup drive or confuse the display drivers again. IF that's what happened. Thoughts?"

I don't think this will do anything to help your situation. When your computer has a hard time shutting down, that is the perfect time to repair permissions. How long did you wait for it to shut down?

ALso, you have to make sure that your Kona is in the proper PCIe slot. What computer do you have and have you followed the instructions on what slot to put your KOna in? Is there anything else attached to your computer (raid, etc)? What versions of everything are you running? QT? OS? Kona drivers?

http://www.aja.com/html/support_kona_rec_sys.htm

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Oct 26, 2008 at 5:53:11 am

Kona LHe in slot 2 of 8-core Intel Mac OS 10.5.5 QT 7.5, 6.0.1 Kona software, all the latest, freshest soft/hardware. Storage is a CalDigit 4 Tb array. Ran RAM test today, all reports nominal. I believe the install was executed correctly. While running, all functionality is available. VERY zippy!

Regarding the incident, I waited 20 minutes on the blue screen before shutting power manually. Started up today, worked with the equipment, shut down w/o incident, being careful NOT to turn off the interlaced monitor. I noted with interest that the Kona card surrendered control of the broadcast monitor a full 8-10 seconds AFTER the main monitor went to black.

Return to posts index

Craig Sommerer
on Oct 26, 2008 at 6:46:40 am

I was getting kernal panics with the very same versions of the OS, QT and Kona LHe software as you. It would happen immediately upon startup and immediately after I installed Kona 6.0.1

Aja tech support told me it's a known issue and to move back to 6.0.0 and I did and everything has progressed swimmingly since then.

Interestingly enough, Aja support told me immediately about the solution before I'd finished describing the situation. I'm kind of surprised that I've not read of any other troubles relating to this version of the Kona software nor is it on the Aja website anywhere.

Uninstall using the Kona uninstall utility and then delete any Kona leftovers in the receipts folder. Install 6.0.0, I'll wager that'll fix you right up.

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Oct 26, 2008 at 6:58:50 am

Thanks Craig for that intel... I'm calling AJA 2nd thing Monday and check this out.

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Oct 27, 2008 at 6:28:18 pm

Still trying to get stabilized here. After back-revving to 6.0.0, am still getting crashing after enabling Macintosh Desktop in AJA control panel. Tech support suggests not even running that feature until 6.0.2 is available.

Had to start up in 'Safe' mode and uninstall the AJA software to regain functionality of the computer. Backrevving to 5.1.1 NDD to run Kona as of today. A fix is imminent, I'm told.

any different results out there?

Return to posts index

Craig Sommerer
on Oct 27, 2008 at 7:49:49 pm

Sorry to hear this, Bill.

I, to be honest, have never run that Mac desktop feature on my LHe so I can't comment. However, I have and operate these versions of software and they work together well. Even the new Aja Adobe Photoshop plug in works fantastically.

Aja 6.0.0 software
OSX 10.5.5
QT 7.5.5
FCP 6.0.4
Color 1.0.2
Motion 3.0.2

Well, I've had keyboard transport problems in Color since March but that's another story, not related to any Aja software, on an 14 month old 2.66 Mac Pro quad.

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Oct 28, 2008 at 5:44:58 pm

Craig:

Looking forward to that Photoshop functionality as soon as AJA catches up with Adobe. Just loaded Adobe Studio CS4...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]