FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need FCP/Kona 3 set up advice

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marco bella
Need FCP/Kona 3 set up advice
on Oct 25, 2008 at 1:24:17 am

I've recently taken on my first HD edit project. Footage was all shot on P2, 720/60p. I'll be editing in FCP Studio 2 with a Kona 3 board and CalDigit RAID installed - for the first time.

Client needs booth an SD/Digi-beta and an HD master for broadcast.

What should my timeline set up be and can I just down convert from the HD timeline to an SD broadcast master?

Be gentle, the world of HD editing is new to me?

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
Re: Need FCP/Kona 3 set up advice
on Oct 25, 2008 at 3:37:33 pm

Marco,

You have my same workflow. I shoot on P2 and am airing out my brand-new Kona 3. I've been an Avid editor for 15 years (still am) but slammed a LHe into my new octo-mac. I'll look forward to hearing about your HD workflow. From the manual, it sounds like it'll down-rez on the fly, but don't know about aspect ratios for 4:3, etc. Let us know.

Return to posts index

Jared Picune
on Oct 25, 2008 at 3:56:20 pm

I'm using a similar setup, Kona and CalDigit, but working in 1080i60.

For one of my clients, we've cut about 100 commercials, the older ones are all SD, and the newer ones are all HD. Since our media buyer has not gotten HD placement yet I need to deliver everything in HD.

First, we shoot and edit everything in HD to be 4x3 safe. The If all the spots that I'm exporting are HD I just use the Kona to do the down convert. We use the center cropped feature in the Kona control panel to get a full 4x3 image.

Now if we have to output a reel with SD and HD, it gets a little more complicated. Frankly, while it takes some time, what I've done is just used software to down convert the HD spots to SD and then output everything in SD.

Anyway I hope that answers some of your questions.

Jared Picune
Idea Spring Editing, Inc.
Denver Final Cut Pro UG
Geeky Mac | FCP Tips & Tricks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 25, 2008 at 10:36:16 pm

The LHe is capable of real time downconvert:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/98/869819

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>