FORUMS: list search recent posts

Streaming Kona Output

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Zimbard
Streaming Kona Output
on Oct 13, 2008 at 5:45:08 pm

We are in the process of setting up a more interactive way to work with clients who can't attend edit sessions. Ideally I'd like to be able to stream the output of our Kona 3 cards so that a client could log in to a secure password on our website and view a session. That way they could see both our after effects compositions as they are being assembled as well as final cut playback and could communicate with the editor either through skype or a phone call.

I realize this will take a significant amount of bandwidth on the upload side and I'm looking into a 10 mb/sec option through our provider. I've done some research for the streaming and have come across NewTek's tricaster Pro which is reasonably priced for what it does. All I'd seemingly need is a converter box for SDI to Component conversion. The downside to me is that its really designed to be a portable unit and ultimately I'd like something that's rack mountable. There's also a lot more bells and whistle's then we'll ever need. Is there other streaming hardware out there people have used before and would like to recommend. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Streaming Kona Output
on Oct 15, 2008 at 6:56:21 pm

You can use iChat and share your screen provided both you and client are on leopard. Not really slick and cool, but cheap. You can also talk through that interface as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Oct 15, 2008 at 7:39:27 pm

Yes - I've actually set this up before and it works very well and like you said is nice and cheap! The problem is that so may of our clients are at ad agencies whose IT departments take so long to update computers that many of them are still on Leopard?!? I know it will take some up front investment, but I'd like to get a system in place that's more universally accessible. I've found a few vendors that can handle this in a pretty wide price range. It doesn't seem to be an area of too much interest yet, but I can see huge benefits from putting a system like this in place.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 15, 2008 at 8:07:09 pm

I had a buddy that used Tricaster and loved it. That's all I really know about it though.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]