FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Component Playback Squished

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Sheffer
HD Component Playback Squished
on Oct 12, 2008 at 10:07:12 pm

Hi,

I am using a Kona LH in FCP 6.0.4 and running the component output to an HDTV for monitoring. The sequences and Capture presets are "AJA Kona LH: 1080psf 23.98 Apple ProRes HQ" The signal comes in perfect except the image is squished. The 1920x1080 16:9 image is displayed as a 4:3 image squished to the right of the frame. Based on the clarity of the image displayed I can tell the the pixels are present simply being displayed as 4:3 instead of 16:9. Since it is an HDTV there is no 16x9 button, is there a way to force AJA to output 16x9?

Also worth noting - when I have AJA's Control panel program output bars to the HDTV it does the same 4:3 squishing present in FCP so I know this is not an issue with FCP.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: HD Component Playback Squished
on Oct 12, 2008 at 10:27:00 pm

What is your Easy Setup?

What is your Kona output set to? (In the control panel)

Sounds like you're downconverting the signal to SD Anamorphic on the way out. You need to change that to your native sequence display. The easiest way to do this is use the Easy Setup, never change the A/V settings manually unless you absolutely have to.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Ryan Sheffer
Re: HD Component Playback Squished
on Oct 12, 2008 at 11:46:26 pm

Thanks for the quick response!

As far as using an easy set up goes, I am using the easy set up. "AJA KONA LH - 1080psf 23.98 Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)". Additionally, when I look at the AJA Control Panel it definitely does not show a downconvert, it simply shows Primary Analog Video Output as 1080sf23.98. The format is Component (SMPTE/EBU N10).

This is definitely confusing me. Could it be that the television is 720p, is that causing an issue?

Return to posts index

Ryan Sheffer
Squished playback fixed now other problems emerge
on Oct 13, 2008 at 12:33:58 am

So, by switching FCPs output to 1080i30 and the KONA's output to the same I was able to get the full image. Now, however, I am noticing that the blue component output is not sending any signal. Should I assume this means the card is faulty or is there another explanation for this?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]