FORUMS: list search recent posts

Analog audio going to Beta SP... uug

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Parke Gregg
Analog audio going to Beta SP... uug
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:00:36 pm

I've been enjoying the luxury of working with HD-SDI through our Kona 3, but now I've got a client requesting a Beta SP of there 1080P project. Jump back to analog... the video is no problem, but I have concerns for the audio. My current setup has the audio being monitored via the Mac's built-in outs. (I don't currently have the K3 breakout box.)

-What is the best practice to get analog audio to the Beta deck?

-Using my current setup, if I run audio through a mixer, what should the levels read on the mixer and on the deck? (for example, if I'm sending a -20 ref signal from FCP, what should the mixer read, and what should the deck read?)

-Do I gain anything by installing a K3 box and using it's analog audio out, versus using the Mac's built-in output. (I have proper cabling for both.)

MacPro 8-core, Kona 3 running Kona driver 6.0, FCP 6.0.4, QT 7.5.0

Thanks,
Parke

-------Stuck On On--------
Audio and Video Post Production

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Analog audio going to Beta SP... uug
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:20:04 pm

[Parke Gregg] "-What is the best practice to get analog audio to the Beta deck? "

Easiest is get a K-box and run the RCA audio outs using RCA to XLR adapters.

I have A/D converters here (the ADA-4 from AJA is nice), but have also done the RCA outs.

[Parke Gregg] "-Do I gain anything by installing a K3 box and using it's analog audio out, versus using the Mac's built-in output. (I have proper cabling for both.) "

I don't know if the Mac's internal audio output is in proper sync with the video output. I wouldn't do this.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 8, 2008 at 6:54:13 pm

Parke -
what kind of professional operation, that only does HD work, doesn't own a K3 box for their Kona 3 ? Do you have Radio Shack 50 ohm BNC barrel connectors extending your cables out to your HD-VTR ? Do you have a mini audio connector going to your Genelec speakers ?

This is what you are going to do right now. You are going to order a K3 box RIGHT NOW, and stop saying "uug". If this is an unacceptable solution to you, then you will purchase the AJA ADA4 to convert your AES audio to analog audio (don't forget the AJA DWP power supply for an extra $39). If this STILL is an unacceptable solution to you, you will order a Behringer Ultramatch Pro SRC2496, which at about $120, is the cheapest AES to analog converter that I am aware of.

No matter what happens, you WILL order something. Comprende ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Parke Gregg
on Oct 8, 2008 at 9:58:35 pm

I'm tempted to post semi-hair brain questions just in hopes to get a response from Bob. You are truly the most entertaining and informative person writing about video tech. Thanks for your reply to Bob and Walter.

Bob, fortunately my Mac is right next to my video rack, so the AJA cable that comes with the Kona 3 has plenty of length for a direct connection. (But I do use a barrel connector for my monitor.) Audio monitoring has always been the weakest link, but honestly I have not had a problem with sync or fidelity.

Your suggestions are all respected and the one that I had not known about was the one I went with. I just ordered the Behringer A/D convertor. This solves my Beta SP problem and my less-than-professional audio monitoring issue with one rack mount box. So now the 1/8"->RCA...20 feet...RCA->1/4" into the mixer will be reserved for iTunes, and I'll be running the important audio via XLR to my mixer out of the Behringer. While they're not Genelec, my Samson monitors will appreciate it, I'm sure, as well as the overall quality of my studio. (only $169 for convertor, cables, and 2 day shipping)

Thanks for pushing me to use this project to fix the wrong,
Parke

-------Stuck On On--------
Audio and Video Post Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]