FORUMS: list search recent posts

New System, New Card

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Allen
New System, New Card
on Oct 3, 2008 at 8:52:29 pm

It seems that the Kona 3 is one of the most preferred capture cards when building a new FCP system. However, it lacks many of the legacy analogue connections that I often use. So, I have narrowed it down to two choices. The obvious choice being the Kona LHe, but I might be interested in the Blackmagic Design Multibridge Eclipse PCI Express HD/SD Bi-Directional Converter. I have owned Aja products in the past and they have been excellent. I do not have experience with Blackmagic but I read that they are fine products as well. I would appreciate any informed input that cow members are willing to give. For example, does one of these products work better with FCP than the other?

Most of my jobs are various types of corporate work. I shoot on Sony F350’s and edit in XD Cam HD and Pro Res but would like the ability to do uncompressed if desired.

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Mike

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
Re: New System, New Card
on Oct 3, 2008 at 9:40:55 pm

Here is my .02 cents:

If you go with an AJA capture board, choose one of their converters to get you what you need to boot. This way if you ever do need AJAs support, they will be able to help you fully without assuming how other products work and fit into the mix (believe it or not but the simplest of items can be done totally different by different companies, you can't assume jack) .

If you make a living at doing this, spend the extra few dollars and turn to one of the best companies there is for support. If you only looking to save money then Frankenstein away :)

Remember when it comes to converters and capture cards AJA has been doing this much longer and they don't settle for OK (they really are perfectionists). You really do get what you pay for. Other than an occasional cable issue, we simply don't return AJA products and we use lots of them.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 3, 2008 at 10:36:07 pm

you answered the question - you shoot with XDCam HD. You do NOT need to input with analog sources. Buy the Kona 3 and for $289, buy the K3 box. Then, you can output to a Beta VTR or VHS machine with analog audio, with NO PROBLEMS, and you will have the best card on the market.

I could have started the debate between the Blackmagic Decklink Extreme and the AJA Kona LHe, but because you are importing most of your footage for capture, why bother - the Kona 3 is the best card.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 4, 2008 at 5:39:20 pm

If you can live with ProRes in HD (which you can) the I'd have a look at the ioHD as well.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]