FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Sony deck device control issues PDV-2000

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jean Baillargeon
HD Sony deck device control issues PDV-2000
on Oct 2, 2008 at 4:20:13 pm

Hi guys

I was trying to make an edit to tape last night. I use an AJA Kona LH card and 9 pin control cable. There are a few control protocols that come with AJA as you know. The one that always work with Sony decks I,ve used in the past is the AJA Sony 29.97 VTR B mode...

Here's what happened. Even though both deck and AJA card were synchronized using the AJA HD sync box, the deck would perform the edit perfectly (in assemble mode) It would regen timecode at the point of recording... but when I played back the deck I would get this pixillated image, as though half the info in the picture was missing... Sound was fine, It all played back... except that the picture was essentially unusable.

I ended up just crash recording, with vtr control set to local... which worked fine. That's when I noticed a green light on the front panel that was lighting up in crash mode... and staying red in edit mode... The caption under the light read, condition something.

The guy who rented me the deck said that this light indicates a failed communication condition between deck and source. Even though the capstan indicator on the deck was showing a lock, as well as indicating proper sync signal lock. he also mentionned that controlling this machine with avid rigs was always very finicky... but that it worked.

So I tried every single device control that applied with same result...

Anyone face this same issue before ???

any thoughts appreciated.

cheers

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: HD Sony deck device control issues PDV-2000
on Oct 2, 2008 at 6:38:48 pm

I'm not an expert on Decks but the condition lights are not a problem with the communication port, the red means the problem with the heads to the tape, the digits are not being written correctly (as you have stated this is the case) This is not to say that the deck's problem is not being cause by or when it is remote mode. If your system works with other decks I would say this is a deck problem.

I normally use Sony A but not because I know it is better but it is first and it works for DBeta and HD decks I have used.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 2, 2008 at 8:38:16 pm

When you say AJA sync box, do you mean a Gen10? If so, you have to set the deck for ext sync and also the AJA for ref in in the control panel.

What's a PDV 2000?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jean Baillargeon
on Oct 2, 2008 at 9:23:14 pm

Hi

Yes it's a GEN 10 and all the sync was done right... Deck set to ext ref, AJA to ref in, GEN 10 set to HD.
A friend of mine asked if I had the SDI output of the deck connected at the same time as it was receiving a HD signal from the AJA SDI out to the deck's SDI in... and it was. He says that in digi betas and in HDcam decks that causes a loss of sync... somehow...

I'd glad to learn about the condition light and what it means though... but that still doesn't find me the cause of all of this.

Again the recording was crappy only when I remoted the deck to the AJA and was controlling through the device protocols in FCP. (edit to tape mode) When crash recording everything was fine... sync et all...

the PDV 2000 is the deck's model number... it's the standard run of the mill Sony HDcam deck. With stand alone tape to tape editing capabilities... like in the old news editing suites... one recorder deck connected to a player deck... and you could use the front panel of the recorder deck to control both decks and do some linear cutting...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]