FORUMS: list search recent posts

remove pull-down on capture with Kona3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Riley
remove pull-down on capture with Kona3
on Oct 1, 2008 at 9:53:27 pm

So, I've been hunting around for specific instructions on how to remove pull-down from telecined material during capture with a Kona3 card but I've become frustrated, so here I am. :-)

Can anyone provide a step-by-step how-to for setting up FCP and Kona3 to remove 3:2 pull-down from a telecined BetaSP tape? I've found some threads here on the cow about it, but I don't think I have all the setting quite right as I can't get it to work reliably.

I open up a ProRes 525 23.98 sequence via the preset installed with the Kona card. Then I open up the log & capture window and set the capture settings there to match (ProRes 525 23.98). Should I also set the device control to 23.98 as well? I'm controlling a Sony DigiBeta DVW-A500 and I usually use the Sony VTR A 29.97 control preset when working with regular NTSC footage so I'm not sure what exactly to do here.

I set the in point on what I assume is an A frame (the punch that appears on the time code hour start) and the outpoint a few minutes down the line. I then hit the capture clip button and wait.

One time I got it to do the right thing, winding up with a clip at 23.98 fps with no interlacing in it and smooth motion... Exactly what I want. However, I've been unable to reliably repeat this. :-(

I really don't want to have to do the pull-down removal after capturing with Cinema Tools as that seems like a real waste of time when what I want seems to be supported from everything I read. I just can't find the exact setup to get it to work right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My vanishing hairline thanks you in advance.

-Matt

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: remove pull-down on capture with Kona3
on Oct 2, 2008 at 12:39:13 am

It depends. If you cadence is consistent across the whole tape, it should work, and you also have to make sure you deck and card are calibrated (the FCP manual does a decent job of explaining this, write back if you have specifics).

You can also use compressor to batch rev telecine your 29.97 captures. Gotta watch your timecode, though, do you have keycodes on the footage?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matt Riley
on Oct 2, 2008 at 1:36:56 am

I don't think I have any keycodes. If I do, I don't know how to find them (I've been dealing with film for quite some time so I feel a bit stupid asking these things!).

I don't want to have to do any post processing to remove the pull-down; my schedule doesn't really allow for it and I don't want the added step or multiple files scattered about. I just want to remove it during capture like I hear about in the product specs and on these forums. :-)

I'll give the FCP manual a read and make sure everything is up-to-snuff there. Thanks for the pointer.

I wish AJA had this documented somewhere on their site, in a support document or something. It seems like something more than a few people would want to do and there is pretty much zero documentation for it (that I've found, anyway).

I'll keep trying.

-Matt

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 2, 2008 at 2:08:16 am

Well, Matt, it's not a really easy or exact process. If you got it to work once, then you see that it works. The trick is making sure the capture starts on an A frame and that the 3:2 pulldown cadence is consistent across the tape. If you don't start on an A frame or the 3:2 cadence is broken somewhere in your capture, you will have to recapture.

Key codes, or edge codes, do you see a bunch of numbers/letters anywhere burned in to the images? If so, you can sometimes see the A frame there. If you don't have the burnt in codes, then you have to do it by hand and eye.

By the way, you want your deck control to still be 29.97 as that's what the tape is running.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]